Effective Communication for Engineers Webinar Series
Date From: 30 January 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Description: This modular online course conveys the fundamental principles of effective communication, and builds on these principles to help engineers optimise their communication in various situations such as email, documents, meetings, and presentations.
Event Type: IChemE Course
Venue: Online course
Contact Name: Courses department
Contact Phone: +44 (0)1788 534431
Missed some webinars? Catch up with recordings and listen live to the rest of the series.
More personal development webinars
Communication underpins all engineering activity. Developing our communication skills gives a significant advantage to individuals and to organisations.
This modular online course conveys the fundamental principles of effective communication, and builds on these principles to help engineers optimise their communication in various situations such as email, documents, meetings, and presentations. Techniques will be presented for getting the best out of challenging face-to-face discussions. The course will also consider the best way to connect with an audience, either in writing or when making a presentation. It has been developed with the specific needs of the chemical engineer in mind.
The modules, each around 60 minutes in length, are effective as stand-alone training sessions or as part of a modular programme.
Special note: Recordings are available if you can't make or miss a Webinar.
Why communication skills are important for engineers
The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) sets out the competence and commitment required for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
The specification requires engineers to demonstrate effective communication and inter-personal skills such as:
- contributing to discussions
- making presentations
- reading and synthesising information
- writing different types of documents
- working effectively with colleagues, clients, suppliers or the public
What's included in the Webinar Series?
- four live 60-minute Webinars
- text Q&A with the trainer
- four digital recordings for your personal use
- digital copies of all slides and supporting materials (PDF) for your personal use
- e-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation, for CPD purposes
The benefits of IChemE online learning
- save money: no travel, subsistence or accommodation costs
- stay productive: limit your time away from the office
- learn in manageable, concentrated, bite-size, one-hour chunks
- choose from two time slots near the start or towards the end of the day
- review or refresh the learning at your convenience with digital recordings of each webinar
- sample each webinar series with introductory prices for the first module of each course
- choose the modules you need - you don't need to buy them all
Module 1: An introduction to effective communication for engineers
- the benefits of effective communication
- the difficulties of effective communication
- empathy, listening and body language
- introducing the Shannon and Weaver model of communication
Module 2: How to be a versatile communicator
- Different communication styles
- Knowing your style
- Adapting your style to connect with others
- Modes of communication
Module 3: How to optimise face-to-face communication
- Developing assertive behaviour
- Effective meetings
- Negotiation skills
- Handling and resolving conflict
- Giving and receiving feedback
Module 4: How to connect with an audience
- Know your audience
- Get your story straight
- Connecting through written documents
- Connecting through presentations
Webinar schedule - each module approximately 60 minutes
Module 1 - 30 January - 09:30 GMT or 17:30 GMT (available as a recording)
Module 2 - 13 February - 09:30 GMT or 17:30 GMT (available as a recording)
Module 3 - 27 February - 08:00 GMT or 16:00 GMT
Module 4 - 6 March - 09:30 GMT or 17:30 GMT
Module 1: £45 + VAT (Introductory price) (available as a recording)
Module 2, 3 or 4: £85 + VAT (available as recordings)
Full course (4 modules): £235 + VAT (available as recordings)
The presentation will be delivered via GoToWebinar®.
Check system requirements >>
You are advised to join the webinar at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
Dr Jamie Cleaver PhD, CEng FIChemE, consultant
Jamie's background as a lecturer and his extensive experience of chemical engineering employers and the workplace give him a unique perspective as a trainer and facilitator of non-technical skills for chemical engineers.
He has a strong technical background, with a first degree in chemical engineering from the University of Surrey and a PhD from the University of Cambridge. After his PhD he followed a natural path into academic research and spent 16 years lecturing chemical engineering at the University of Surrey.
Through coordinating the professional training placement scheme for chemical engineering students, he was able to see first-hand the huge potential benefit to individuals and organisations that could be achieved by professional skills training, and identify the specific skills required.
His skills training is enhanced by direct experience as an employee with BP, Cargill, Air Products and by several consultancy roles.
Jamie is a member of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council.
"Jamie has proven skill and knowledge sets, which have impacted both myself and colleagues in my company in a positive manner. He comes highly recommended." UOP
"I found Jamie to be responsive, proactive, with the strategic understanding to align my business needs with a learning environment. Thoroughly good guy to work with." SNC-Lavalin
"Jamie is an engaging and inspirational trainer who works hard to help his delegates realise their potential." Evolve-Leadteam Ltd
Other personal development and leadership courses
Mentoring for Chemical Engineers Webinar Series - commences 13 February 2017
Creativity for Chemical Engineers Webinar Series - commences 30 January 2017
Effective Technical Writing Webinar Series - commences 6 February 2017
CPD Recording Information
Duration (for CPD recording purposes): 1 hour per module
If you are recording mandatory CPD you should refer to your own regulator’s requirements as recognition of CPD hours may vary.
New CPD verification process from 2017. IChemE (in line with Engineering Council requirements) will be checking a random sample of Chartered Members’ and Fellows’ CPD records. More details online.
IChemE member? Log your CPD via mycareerpath