Continuous Professional Development
What is Continuing Professional Development?
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) can be defined as the systematic maintenance, improvement and broadening of knowledge and skills, and the development of personal qualities necessary for the execution of professional andtechnical duties throughout a persons engineering career.
ECSAs definition is widely drawn and not prescriptive so as to remain flexible enough to be relevant to all registered persons at all stages of their careers. The emphasis for meeting CPD requirements is not on the acquisition of credits for the attendance of academic or theoretical courses alone, but has been spread over three categories of activities, which would contribute to meeting the minimum CPD credits needed for renewal of registration.
Objective of the CPD System
CPD is introduced for all registered persons in order to:
- ensure, through the creation of a culture of CPD, that all registered persons maintain their competence throughout their period of registration
- meet the requirements of the accreditation
- be the acceptable means for renewal of registration
- meet the requirements for recognition of ECSAs assessment process with regard to international agreements
- ensure that those South African registered persons meet the requirements for their continued international registration
SAIChE's ECSA Voluntary Association Number: VA A0007
To download the application form for CPD accreditation, please click here.
For a listed of SAIChE CPD accredited courses, please click here.