Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) - South Africa
Date From: 24 October 2017
Date To: 25 October 2017
Location: South Africa
Description: Covers the basic methodology of LOPA and the detailed stages of its application. Participants are shown how to identify significant scenarios, estimate frequencies for the worst-case events and how to assign risk categories.
Event Type: IChemE Course
Venue: Boksburg, South Africa
Contact Name: Rod Prior
Contact Phone: +27 (0)82 554 0010
Layer of protection analysis (LOPA) is a semi-quantitative tool for analysing and assessing risk on a process plant. It uses an order of magnitude technique to evaluate the adequacy of existing or proposed layers of protection against known hazards.
This course covers the basic methodology of LOPA and the detailed stages of its application. Participants are shown how significant scenarios are identified and how frequencies are estimated for the worst-case events. All the essential steps in this method are practised in workshops, including the use of software tools in LOPA.
- the basic methodology of LOPA
- how to decide if a process needs a safety instrumented system (SIS)
- what safety integrity level (SIL) it needs
- how to define an independent protection layer (IPL)
- how to implement a process to manage these systems through the life cycle of an installation
Who will benefit
- production engineers
- process design engineers
- project engineers
- process programmers and instrument control designers
- LOPA methodology, other methods, matrices and charts
- what do the competent authorities expect?
- severity estimation and targets
- initiating events and frequencies
- conditional modifiers
- independent protection layers
- other safety-related protection systems
- 'aggregation' of scenario frequency when there is more than one initiator
- addressing ALARP
- uncertainties and sensitivities
- cautions on using LOPA
- when LOPA is done – managing/operating a safety instrumented system
IChemE/SAIChE member: R6000
Early bird discount: 5% if payment is received before 25 September 2017.
Rod Prior, MIChemE, Professional Process Safety Engineer, SHExcellence
Rod Prior is a Chartered Chemical Engineer with 34 years experience in the chemical, explosives and mining industries. Responsibilities have included manufacturing, technical, and business aspects. Industries where responsibilities have been held include fertilisers, inorganic chemicals, organic chemicals, ammonia, nitric acid, ammonium nitrate, calcium ammonium nitrate, synthetic fibres, pharmaceuticals, explosives, peroxide chemicals, transport, and refractory bricks.
As Production Director of AECI Explosives, he carried the full safety, health and environmental responsibility and was instrumental in initiating the improvement programme which has resulted in the company achieving world class safety performance
Rod now consults to the process and mining industries primarily in the process safety fields and specialises in the safe use of hazardous materials. He works in Southern Africa, Middle East and Far East.
IChemE member? Log your CPD via mycareerpath