Videos of past presentations
We are pleased to give you the chance to watch selected plenary presentations from previous Hazards conferences for free.
Leadership & Culture, Principles & Professionalism, Simplicity & Safety - Lessons from the Nimrod Review
The Hon. Mr Justice Haddon-Cave – speaking at Hazards 26
A giant of the legal world, Mr Justice Haddon-Cave led the inquiry into the circumstances of the fatal crash of the RAF's Nimrod XV230 aircraft whilst on routine operations in Afghanistan in 2006. The RAF operated the aircraft under a safety case regime, similar in principle to that used by the oil and gas sector. According to Mr Haddon-Cave, the observations and recommendations from his inquiry provide, "a once in a generation opportunity" to learn valuable lessons that can be applied to all sectors and remind us that "safety is everyone's responsibility".
Applying Process Safety and Systems Thinking to a Wider World - How Do We Break Down the Silos and Share Our Knowledge?
Dame Judith Hackitt DBE, Chair, Make UK and former Chair of the Health and Safety Executive – speaking at Hazards 29
Following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower in London in June 2017, Judith chaired the independent review of building regulations and fire safety in relation to high rise buildings. Referring to the review, her presentation focuses on the need for engineers to share vital knowledge and skills to embed systems thinking and process safety principles in every sector.
Watch this presentation for free >>
Case Study: the L'Oréal Safety Culture Journey and Next Steps
Malcolm Staves, Corporate Health and Safety Director, L'Oréal, France – speaking at Hazards 28
Since his arrival at L'Oréal in 2008, Malcolm has developed strategies for the globalisation of health and safety with a focus on risk management, visible leadership and safety culture. His presentation discusses how he achieved this, including how hummingbirds, canaries and elephants fit in!
More presentations available to purchase
We have packaged up video recordings of some of the technical presentations from Hazards 28 and Hazards 29 by core functional areas:
- Engineering & Design and Knowledge & Competence
- Human Factors, Systems & Procedures, and Assurance
Many of the papers presented at past Hazards conferences are available to purchase or download for free, to help further knowledge-sharing and understanding.
- Full conference proceedings containing all the papers presented at past Hazards conferences are available to purchase on our online shop.
- We have also packaged up the papers from the most recent conferences by core functional areas to help you find the papers that interest you the most:
- Papers more than five years old, as well as more recent papers subject to Crown Copyright under the Open Government Licence, are free to download in the Safety and Loss Prevention Special Interest Group hazards archive.