As Chemical Engineers, our primary purpose is to add value to materials through the judicious selection and then optimisation of the building blocks of our profession-unit operations. However for unit operations featuring bulk solids value, our efforts can be undermined if the flow is not controlled. Unlike the flow of liquids, the flow of bulk solids is complex and not well covered in undergraduate courses.
This intense course has therefore been tailored specifically for chemical engineers and addresses this Blind Spot by providing a fundamental understanding of the science underpinning bulk solids flow behaviour together with simple, practical steps that can be taken to solve but ideally avoid common problems.
Participants will learn how and why typical bulk material flow problems occur by:
- covering a wide range of equipment types and the solutions to flow problems commonly associated with each of them
- gaining a better understanding of how wall friction, cohesive strength, compressibility, permeability, and other properties affect the flow of solids through various types of feeders, blenders, chutes, bins, and hoppers
- seeing how to specify and select hardware best suited to various bulk solid flow problems and objectives; including how to retrofit equipment to correct flow problems
- identifying and solving flow problems involving lost production, plant downtime, extra labour, poor quality control, wasted material, and unreliable equipment.
- Flow (liquid vs bulk solid systems)
- Typical bulk solids flow problems/patterns
- Flow properties characterization,
- Hopper flow patterns (funnel and mass flow)
- Mixing/blending theory and types of mixers
- Segregation of powders and bulk solids
Who will benefit?
Chemical Engineers and allied professionals involved in the study (including safety and environmental aspects), detailed design, and commissioning of value chains or procurement of equipment to handle bulk solids as well as anyone responsible for solving and preventing flow problems.
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places - 5% discount
- 3 places - 10% discount
- 4 or more places - 15% discount.