The business environment is complex and whilst engineers play a significant role, it’s important to have a knowledge of the interplay between an organisation’s departments.
This programme is designed to provide developing engineers with a broad range of business skills, to improve the impact they have in their organisation and drive their career.
You will be exposed to a wide range of topics including project management, business finance, time management, understanding their customers and the professional responsibilities of an engineer. The aim is to provide you with an overview of several different tools within the course, allowing better understanding and interaction with other areas of the business, making you more effective.
- corporate structure and interaction – how the different departments fit together and interface
- the ‘internal’ customer – how we all have customers who need the output of our work and how to find out and satisfy their needs for professional success
- basic business finance – how companies are financed; how to set and manage a budget; taking responsibility for minimising expenditure throughout the business
- time management principles – identifying and prioritising important tasks over urgent tasks
- project management principles, task scheduling and resource allocation
- the role of the engineer in society – duties, responsibilities and professional conduct
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- articulate how engineering fits into the organisation structure along with the key deliverables
- understand the responsibilities of a professional engineer
- understand project management principles. How to set up and plan a successful project, utilising milestones, resource limitations and work load planning
- focus on what your personal "customer" needs. Identify the various customers of your work and establish what it is they need from you
- manage your time more effectively through better priority setting
- understand the basics of finance - budgeting and cost control
- use the appropriate communication medium to get your message across
Who will benefit
This programme is designed for engineers working towards professional registration and is also suitable for nonengineers working in engineering organisations.