This course is also available online
This course will help you to develop your understanding of the key principles of process safety and its management. It will benefit anyone involved in the design, operation, modification or maintenance of major hazard or other process plant, who would like to develop or refresh their process safety knowledge across a broad range of topics.
The course uses a mix of interactive exercises and workshops, case studies and theory to examine the functional areas key to managing process safety across an organisation, as defined by the IChemE Safety Centre’s (ISC) framework: leadership, knowledge and competence, engineering and design, systems and procedures, assurance, human factors, and culture.
An e-certificate will be issued to participants who attend the whole course and pass an end-of-course assessment.
By the end of the course, you will understand:
- the key principles of process safety and its management
- the human, environmental and business consequences of poor process safety
- the key factors influencing the basis of process safety
- the hazards associated with a process plant and how the risks can be controlled
- the key process safety requirements at each stage in the life cycle of a process plant from conceptual design through to operation, maintenance and modification
- the interdependence of and the need for overall organisation process safety management capability
- how to acquire further knowledge and understanding of process safety management
Read more about the aims and objectives of the course >>
Who will benefit
- Managers, supervisors, engineers, safety personnel, and others involved in the design, operation, modification or maintenance of major hazard or other process plant
- Anyone who would like to improve their process safety knowledge
- Graduates, chemical and other engineers may find it beneficial in the preparation of their Chartered Member application.
- The importance of process safety
- A model for process safety
- Hazard and risk
- Hazard identification and evaluation
- Consequences – toxicity and fires
- Consequences – explosions
- Chemical reactions
- Flammable atmospheres
- Project development
- Design safety
- Risk assessment
- Asset integrity
- Management of change
- Management systems
- Human factors
- Leadership and culture
- Process safety performance
- Emergency response
Our expert trainers have a broad range of process industry experience.and have worked in many sectors including oil and gas, offshore, refining, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food processing, utilities, gas distribution, energy, power generation and in some case with government regulators. Face-to-face courses are typically delivered by two trainers.
Previous delegates said
"The course gave me a good understanding of process safety and why and when to use different evaluation methods."
Kate McFarlane, Johnson Matthey, UK
"The group exercises were well thought out to encourage discussion – this was interesting because of the range of industries and experience represented in each group. The exercises showed how to put the theory into practice."
Stephen McLachlan, TGE Gas Engineering, UK
"The course leaders were very knowledgeable and were good at relating the topics to the attendees' experience."
Stephen Florence, Recycling Technologies, UK
“Excellent content which supplemented my knowledge on occupational safety."
Phil Johnston, Tronox, Australia
“I enjoyed the workshops and group exercises. It was good to learn about other industries and their challenges and what works and doesn't work.”
Chas Mahanga, Dyno Nobel, Australia
"The facilitators were knowledgeable and engaging."
Kim Anderson, Queensland Alumina, Australia
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 5% discount
- 3 places –10% discount
- 4 or more places – 15% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.