There is an increasing emphasis on the importance of managing human factors to achieve improved safety and business performance in the chemical process industries and resource sector. Major accidents, including those at Longford, Varanus Island, Montara, Gretley and Moura, have highlighted the importance of addressing this aspect of performance. However, many of the safety and operational professionals charged with managing human factors have no formal qualifications or training in the human and behavioural sciences.
- Content covering human factors in process safety, health and safety, with links to other aspects of business performance
- A modular course design, with short residential events, also providing networking opportunities with like - minded professionals
- Advice to help implement human factor solutions
- Training is delivered by recognised human factors professionals with significant process industry experience, drawn from a range of resources sector employers, specialist consultancies and industry regulators
Topics are organised to cover the UK Health and Safety Executive's top human factors issues in major hazard sites, but these topics are just as applicable and relevant to non-UK regulatory frameworks.
The content has been developed in consultation with IChemE' s safety and loss prevention specialist.
Module Four - Human Factors and Design
- Integrating human factors in design, presenter: Richard Scaife
- Ergonomic risk assessment and workspace design, presenter: Claire Folland
- Developing effective procedures, presenter: Melanie Todd
- Design of the human/machine interface, presenter: Zoe Nation
Who should attend?
The programme is specifically designed for those who want a comprehensive overview of the subject matter, access to practical research-based tools and approaches, and discussions in small groups with knowledged industry experts.
This may include:
- internal human factors advisors/focal points
- operational managers
- HSE advisors and specialist
- industry regulators.
Human factors in Health and Safety is a one-year programme, consisting of four intensive two-day modules. This is supported by pre-event reading, which together forms a broad human factors educational programme.
This programme caters for two audiences, specifically:
- those who want to complete the programme, who would complete the initial consultancy skills pre-reading, and all four two-day modules
- those who wish to attend a single module (subject to availability).
You can join the programme at any point - modules are designed to be completed in any order.
2022 programme to be confirmed.
In partnership with: