Learn to manage multi-national, remote and virtual teams more effectively
As organisations expand internationally and telecommuting becomes easier, work groups often span continents and include remote and mobile workers as well as those working out of distant offices, homes and hotel rooms. Multi-national, remote and virtual teams are now commonplace in the process industry.
However, they bring their own set of challenges. Managers are increasingly responsible for teams across a broad range of cross-cultural and virtual environments, and are required to deal with the specific challenges that this brings in order to maintain and develop good working relationships. So what does it take to make them work efficiently?
IChemE's Managing Cross-Cultural and Virtual Teams outlines the challenges associated with leading remote teams and provides a range of practical tools and techniques to help manage them more effectively. This course will cover the common barriers and pitfalls associated with managing virtual and international teams, with a particular focus on the chemical and process industries, and will provide you with a range of tools and techniques to help you manage these teams effectively.
‘Brilliant – great knowledge, experience and anecdotes - very informative.’
2016 course attendee.
What you will learn
Upon successfully completing the course, you will:
- understand the business drivers for remote, virtual and international teams and the challenges they face
- learn techniques for team leadership and how to apply them to multinational, remote and virtual teams
- increase sensitivity to the successful management of international team members
- understand the main causes of the failure of virtual and remote teams
- appreciate the added importance of excellent communications in such teams and how to achieve it
- understand the principles of remote team working and the use of enabling technologies and remote management tools.
Who will benefit
Managers, team leaders, engineers and project managers who manage virtual, remote or international teams.
- Introduction to virtual and cross-cultural teams in a global organisation – the challenges and barriers to success
- Characteristics of a successful virtual/cross-cultural team
- Cultural awareness and effective communication with international audiences
- Developing successful relationships with remote colleagues
- Using your leadership skills to effectively manage remote teams
- How to use enabling technologies and other remote management tools
- Practical tips on issues regarding virtual team effectiveness as posed by delegates
Case studies from the world of chemical and process engineering will be used to help delegates analyse real-world problems that can occur in managing international, remote and virtual teams and how to identify practical solutions.
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places — 5% discount
- 3 places — 10% discount
- 4 or more places — 15% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
This course is also available as an in-company course (face-to-face or online) where content can be customised to meet your organisation's specific needs and delivered on a date/location that suits your requirements. Contact us for more information.