Live online course – from 11 July 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Alternative dates – from 25 July 2022, 13:00–16:00 AWST/MYT.
This online course is intended for people with a technical background, for whom an insight into chemical engineering would be useful in their job role. Its aim is to convey a conceptual understanding of the subject, revealing the chemical engineering approach to problem solving, and explaining the core concepts.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning to convey key concepts. The modular course design accommodates a diversity of delegate backgrounds, from pure science to practising engineer. Optional pre-course material will be issued to help you recall relevant aspects of basic mathematics, physics and chemistry for those who might like a quick refresher.
Teaching will be delivered across three live sessions (approximately 2–3 hours in length each) and pre-recorded video content for independent study.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- know how chemical engineering differs from other branches of science and engineering
- appreciate how their current knowledge relates to chemical engineering
- be aware of the operating principles for common unit operations
- know the chemical engineer's perspective on chemistry
- appreciate, and demonstrate a typical chemical engineering problem-solving approach
- understand the principles of mass and energy balances and be able to solve simple problems
- appreciate the principles of heat transfer, mass transfer, and fluid flow, and be able to solve simple problems
- understand basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- appreciate design principles for heat exchangers and reactors
- appreciate the operating principle of a distillation column
- appreciate key aspects of process control
- appreciate the issues and approaches relating to process safety
- appreciate the concept of process equipment scale-up and apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
This course is intended for anyone with a scientific, technical or non-chemical engineering background who wants to understand more about chemical engineering and its key concepts.
- What is chemical engineering
- The concept of unit operations
- Essential chemistry
- Mass and energy balances
- Heat transfer
- Mass transfer
- Momentum transfer (fluid mechanics)
- Process design, concepts and diagrams
- Process control
- Process safety
- Process scale-up
Delegates will receive an electronic copy of Data for Chemical Engineering Students, an essential concepts, principles and formulae booklet to assist them during the course.
Previous delegates said
"I enjoyed this course possibly more than any other I have attended. Having the videos and worksheets in advance allowed me to progress at my own pace. The structure of the course was ideal for me. Jamie made use of videos to allow the live sessions to be focused on problem solving.”
T Melarangi, Allergan Biologics, UK
"[Jamie] was excellent and very engaging even on a virtual platform."
A Baker, Leeds University, UK
"The videos were excellent and greatly appreciated. The best thing [about the course] was when Jamie explained how certain pieces of chem eng machinery operated, like the continuous bitumen production, which is something a chemist like myself wouldn't have known existed.”
A Anderson, Oxford nanoSystems, UK
“Really good worksheets and content, it was extremely relevant.”
L Bedborough, C-Capture, UK
Monday 11 July 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Friday 15 July 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Wednesday 20 July 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Pre-recorded video content will be provided for independent study before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest in future dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.