Live online course – from 10 October 2022, 09:00–11:00 BST.
Alternative times: 12:00–14:00 BST.
Also offered face-to-face
This online course provides key pointers for strengthening organisational safety through effective management of training and competence, staffing and workload, supervision and safety, and fatigue-related risk.
Teaching will be delivered across four live sessions (approximately two hours in length each), pre-recorded video content for independent study, and pre-course reading.
Course places are limited to eight to ensure maximum contact time with our trainers. Early-booking is advised.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all sessions to receive the certificate.
Strengthening Organisational Performance is module three of our Human Factors in Health and Safety training programme, which has been designed to increase understanding of key human factors topics relevant to safety in the process industries.
Delegates can choose to attend Strengthening Organisational Performance as a one-off course to develop understanding in this particular area, or alongside the other Human Factors in Health and Safety modules to get a comprehensive overview of human factors.
By the end of this module you will understand:
- the consequences of fatigue on human performance and how to mange it effectively
- how to manage staffing and workload effectively
- how to develop and assess competence effectively, and its impact on safety
- what makes effective supervision and its role in performance and safety management.
Who will benefit?
- HSE managers and advisors
- Operations managers
- Safety engineers
- Chemical/process engineers
- In-house human factors advisors eg COMAH operators' 'intelligent customers'
- The consequences of fatigue for human performance
- Managing fatigue using a Fatigue Risk Management Plan
- Fatigue-related performance indicators
- Investigating fatigue-related incidents
Staffing and workload
- Staffing, workload and process safety
- Methods for workload measurement and prediction
- HSE staffing assessment method
Training and competence
- Impact of competence on safety
- Competence management systems
- Developing and assessing competence
- Competence assurance
Effective supervision and safety leadership
- Effective supervision: its role in performance management and improvement
- Supervision models: understanding when flexibility is needed and how to achieve it
- Supervision and culture: exploring the links between supervisory behaviour and team and organisational culture
Previous delegates said
Previous delegates said Strengthening Organisational Performance would help them to:
- re-evaluate shift patterns and how to address fatigue
- re-evaluate when (what time of day) they carry out safety-critical tasks
- apply new human factors tools and techniques
- influence others
- assess competencies more effectively
- develop the role of human factors champion
- review/apply their training and competency framework
- improve awareness of human factors within their organisation
- develop a fatigue management system
- understand the staffing assessments to be done by the contractor.
Our Human Factors in Health and Safety modules are delivered by recognised human factors professionals with significant process industry experience. They will provide practical advice, tools and approaches to help you implement human factors solutions at your organisation.
Janette Edmonds is joined on this module by:
- Paul Jackson – a fatigue-management specialist who has worked with a number of clients including BP and Shell.
- Chiara Amati – a chartered occupational psychologist with extensive experience of supporting clients, including high hazard, in relation to the assessment and development of safety culture and safety leadership.
Monday 10 October 2022, 09:00–11:00 BST.
Tuesday 11 October 2022, 09:00–11:00 BST.
Wednesday 12 October 2022, 09:00–11:00 BST.
Thursday 13 October 2022, 09:00–11:00 BST.
There are alternative sessions on these dates at 12:00–14:00 BST
Not available then? Register your interest in future dates.
- Single module: £1500 + VAT
- Book all four modules together: £1300 + VAT (per module)
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Other online modules
Those wishing to take all four modules to complete the Human Factors in Health and Safety programme can study them in any order and take a mix of online and face-to-face modules.
About Human Factors in Health and Safety
Learn more about the Human Factors in Health and Safety programme>>
Download our Human Factors in Health and Safety brochure>>
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
In partnership with:
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.