Live online course – 27 September 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST.
This online course aims to provide delegates with improved process incident investigation skills by focusing on the key aspects of incident investigation: the need to search for systemic failures; how to diagnose and address human failure; collecting evidence (in particular oral evidence) and identifying root causes using the Cause Tree Analysis technique.
The course uses case studies from real incidents to demonstrate the use of the SRK human error taxonomy and the application of Cause Tree Analysis, and includes a workshop in which delegates will work in teams to develop a cause tree from a description of the evidence from an incident.
Teaching will be delivered via one live session (approximately three hours in length) and pre-recorded video content for independent study.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
By the end of this course, you will:
- understand the multiple purposes of investigations
- understand the causation 'domino theory' and the need to search for system failures
- appreciate the different ways humans can fail and how investigations can address these
- understand how to diagnose human error using the SRK model
- understand the challenges in collecting evidence and how these can be addressed
- understand how to apply the Cause Tree (root cause) Analysis technique.
Who will benefit
Managers, supervisors and engineers that have responsibilities for investigating process incidents or who are required to participate in investigations.
- The search for system failures
- Why humans fail and how we can respond to human failure
- Case study – human failure diagnosis and response
- The challenge of evidence collection
- Cause Tree (root cause) Analysis
- Workshop – constructing a Cause Tree
Tuesday 27 September 2022, 10:00–13:00 BST
Pre-recorded video content will be provided for independent study alongside the live session.
Not available then? Register your interest in future course dates.
- IChemE member: £420 + VAT
- Non-member: £504 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.