Live online course – from 7 July 2022, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Successful chemical process scale-up can be a formidable challenge due to a combination of several phenomena that only become manifest at a change of process scale. The aim of this online course is to provide an understanding of the fundamentals and a practical guide to predicting and avoiding common problems, thereby minimising the risk of unforeseen scale-up problems.
Initially, we will identify the main challenges in scale-up and review the key chemical engineering tools required for addressing them. We will then apply these tools to approach scale-up problems which involve fluid mixing, heat transfer, mass transfer, chemical reactors and particulate processes. Finally, we will address practical issues relating to scale-up. Throughout the course we will draw on examples from a wide range of processes and unit operations. Process safety is hard-wired into the course and will be a continuous theme.
Teaching will be delivered across three live sessions (approximately three hours in length each) and pre-recorded video content for independent study.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- be aware of the challenges and risks involved in process scale-up
- be familiar with the essential chemical engineering tools for addressing scale-up challenges
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving fluid flow and mixing
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving heat transfer
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving mass transfer
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of chemical reactors
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving particulates
- understand the benefit of semi-batch reactor operation
- be aware of the potential issues created by increased batch processing time
- be aware of materials of construction constraints
- be aware of the impact of changes in rheology
- be aware of foaming, fouling and deposition problems.
Who will benefit
Anyone with a technical background who is involved in process development and process scale-up.
- The challenges of process scale-up
- Chemical engineering tools
- Mass and energy balances
- Transport mechanics
- Dimensional analysis
- Fluid mixing issues
- Heat transfer issues
- Mass transfer issues
- Chemical reaction issues
- Particle processing issues
- Semi-batch operations
- Increased batch processing time
- Materials of construction
- Changes in rheology
- Foaming, fouling and deposition
Thursday 7 July 2022, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Thursday 14 July 2022, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Thursday 21 July 2022, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Pre-recorded video content will be provided for independent study before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest in future dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.