Air and oxygen are products that can seem harmless, but in certain environments they can prove deadly if used or introduced at the wrong place or time.
This course will help you understand the basic principles for safe use of air and oxygen, within a range of different industries and equipment. You will be able to better understand each side of the fire triangle within the process industries, key and common sources of ignition, strategies for the prevention of flammable/explosive atmospheres, trapped residual pressure hazards and the specific hazards when working in oxygen enriched environments.
- The chemistry of fire
- Ignition sources
- Explosions: deflagrations and detonations
- Avoid flammable mixtures
- Eliminate oxygen
- Trapped pressure hazards
- Specific hazards of pure oxygen
- Oxygen-rich environments
- Hazards of medical oxygen
- Reactive hazards of oxygen
- Contamination of materials handling oxygen
- Misdirected flow of oxygen into process systems
- Integrity management of oxygen systems
By the end of this course, you will:
- better understand each side of the fire triangle
- be introduced to fires and explosions (deflagration vs detonation)
- have reviewed common sources of ignition which can cause process fires/explosions and how to manage these
- be introduced to strategies for the prevention of flammable/explosive atmospheres
- understand the hazards associated with trapped/residual pressure when working with compressed air
- look specifically at the hazards of working with oxygen and oxygen-enriched environments.
Who will benefit
Front-line operators, maintenance crews, engineers, regulators and managers working in the renewable energy, food and drink, pharmaceuticals, power generation, water, steel, oil and gas, petrochemicals and refining industries.
What's included in the series
- Two 60-minute sessions
- Two digital recordings for your personal use
- Digital copies of all slides and supporting materials (PDF) for your personal use
- E-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation, for CPD purposes
This option allows you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £819 + VAT. Find out more>>
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.