Live online course – starts on 17 June 2020.
This online course is intended for people with a technical background, for whom an insight into chemical engineering would be useful in their job role. Its aim is to convey a conceptual understanding of the subject, revealing the chemical engineering approach to problem solving, and explaining the core concepts.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning to convey key concepts. The modular course design accommodates a diversity of delegate backgrounds, from pure science to practitioning engineer. Optional pre-course material will be issued to help you recall relevant aspects of basic mathematics, physics and chemistry for those who might like a quick refresher.
Teaching will be delivered across three live modules (approximately 2–3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Certificates will be issued to candidates on completion of the course.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- know how chemical engineering differs from other branches of science and engineering
- appreciate how their current knowledge relates to chemical engineering
- be aware of the operating principles for common unit operations
- know the chemical engineer's perspective on chemistry
- appreciate, and demonstrate a typical chemical engineering problem-solving approach
- understand the principles of mass and energy balances and be able to solve simple problems
- appreciate the principles of heat transfer, mass transfer, and fluid flow, and be able to solve simple problems
- understand basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- appreciate design principles for heat exchangers and reactors
- appreciate the operating principle of a distillation column
- appreciate key aspects of process control
- appreciate the issues and approaches relating to process safety
- appreciate the concept of process equipment scale-up and apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
This course is intended for anyone with a scientific, technical or non-chemical engineering background who wants to understand more about chemical engineering and it's key concepts.
- Heat transfer
- Mass transfer
- Momentum transfer (fluid mechanics)
- Process design, concepts and diagrams
- Process control
- Process safety
- Process scale-up
Module dates and times
Wednesday 17 June, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Wednesday 24 June, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Wednesday 1 July, 10:00–13:00 BST.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future online dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via GoToWebinar®– check system requirements >>
You are advised to join the session at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.
See our face-to-face course for scientists later in the year >>