Live online course – starts on 20 October 2020.
This online course is intended for people with a technical background, for whom an insight into chemical engineering would be useful in their job role. Its aim is to convey a conceptual understanding of the subject, revealing the chemical engineering approach to problem solving, and explaining the core concepts.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning to convey key concepts. The modular course design accommodates a diversity of delegate backgrounds, from pure science to practitioning engineer. Optional pre-course material will be issued to help you recall relevant aspects of basic mathematics, physics and chemistry for those who might like a quick refresher.
Teaching will be delivered across three live modules (approximately 2–3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Certificates will be issued to candidates on completion of the course.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- know how chemical engineering differs from other branches of science and engineering
- appreciate how their current knowledge relates to chemical engineering
- be aware of the operating principles for common unit operations
- know the chemical engineer's perspective on chemistry
- appreciate, and demonstrate a typical chemical engineering problem-solving approach
- understand the principles of mass and energy balances and be able to solve simple problems
- appreciate the principles of heat transfer, mass transfer, and fluid flow, and be able to solve simple problems
- understand basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- appreciate design principles for heat exchangers and reactors
- appreciate the operating principle of a distillation column
- appreciate key aspects of process control
- appreciate the issues and approaches relating to process safety
- appreciate the concept of process equipment scale-up and apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
This course is intended for anyone with a scientific, technical or non-chemical engineering background who wants to understand more about chemical engineering and it's key concepts.
- What is chemical engineering
- The concept of unit operations
- Essential chemistry
- Mass and energy balances
- Heat transfer
- Mass transfer
- Momentum transfer (fluid mechanics)
- Process design, concepts and diagrams
- Process control
- Process safety
- Process scale-up
Delegates will receive an electronic copy of Data for Chemical Engineering Students, an essential concepts, principles and formulae booklet to assist them during the course.
Module dates and times
Tuesday 20 October, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Tuesday 27 October, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Tuesday 3 November, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future course dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via GoToWebinar®– check system requirements >>
You are advised to join the session at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.