Technical writing is one of the most important activities undertaken by an engineer, with the content often being safety-critical or business critical. It is therefore worthwhile considering how to improve the quality of documents and the efficiency of the writing process.
This modular online course will help you develop the skills required to produce more accessible and better written materials on a technical topic. This can include technical proposals, bids, reports and specifications. It has been written with the specific needs of the chemical engineer in mind.
It will take you through each step of the process, from identifying your desired audience and their needs, planning, structuring and writing your work, through to presenting the final document.
The modules, each around 60 minutes in length, are effective as stand-alone training sessions or as part of a modular programme.
Why effective writing skills are important for engineers
The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) sets out the competence and commitment required for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
The specification requires engineers to demonstrate effective use of written and electronic methods for the communication in English of technical and other information. The specification also requires reading and synthesising information, and writing different types of documents.
What's included in the series
- Four 60-minute sessions
- Digital copies of all slides and supporting materials (PDF) for your personal use
- E-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation, for CPD purposes (on request)
The benefits of IChemE online learning
- Save money: no travel, subsistence or accommodation costs
- Stay productive: limit your time away from the office
- Learn in manageable, concentrated, bite-size, one-hour chunks
- Review or refresh the learning at your convenience with digital recordings of each module
- Choose the modules you need - you don't need to buy them all
Module 1: An Introduction to effective technical writing
- Document quality and writing efficiency; a manufacturing approach
- The components of document quality
- Empathy for the audience
- Transmitting and receiving written information
Module 2: How to plan your writing
- Writing for the web and print: similarities and differences
- Meeting audience expectations
- Getting the content right
- Getting the structure right
- Storyboarding – a novel approach
Module 3: How to write with style
- Formal and informal registers
- Getting clarity
- Using motivating language
- Maintaining focus in your writing
Module 4: How to review and present documents
- Attention to detail
- Reviewing your work before sign-off
- Reviewing others’ work
- Presenting your work
- Gathering and learning from feedback
This option allows you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £1055 + VAT. Contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.