Live online course – starts on 19 October 2020.
IChemE's flagship process safety training course is essential for anyone involved in the design, modification, operation and maintenance of a major hazard or process plant.
All process safety fundamentals are covered and participants will emerge with a better understanding of the key principles of process safety and its management.
This online course references the IChemE Safety Centre's management framework built on six functional areas or pillars:
- knowledge and competence
- engineering and design
- systems and procedures
- human factors
It combines virtual workshops, case studies and theory to teach core areas of a process safety framework.
Teaching will be delivered across five live modules (approximately 2–3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Participants who pass an end-of-course assessment receive an IChemE Pass Certificate in the Fundamentals of Process Safety.
By the end of the course, participants will understand:
- the key principles of process safety and its management
- the human, environmental and business consequences of poor process safety
- the key factors influencing the basis of process safety
- the hazards associated with a process plant and how the risks can be controlled
- the key process safety requirements at each stage in the life cycle of a process plant from conceptual design through to operation, maintenance and modification
- the interdependence of and the need for overall organisation process safety management capability
- how to acquire further knowledge and understanding of process safety management.
Read more about the course >>
Who will benefit
- Managers, supervisors, engineers, safety personnel, and others involved in the design, operation, modification or maintenance of major hazard or other process plant
- Anyone who would like to improve their process safety knowledge
Graduates, chemical and other engineers may find it beneficial in the preparation of their Chartered Member application.
- The importance of process safety
- A model for process safety
- Hazard and risk
- Hazard identification and evaluation
- Consequences – toxicity and fires
- Consequences – explosions
- Chemical reactions
- Flammable atmospheres
- Project development
- Design safety
- Risk assessment
- Asset integrity
- Management of change
- Management systems
- Human factors
- Leadership and culture
- Process safety performance
- Emergency response
Our expert trainers have worked in many industries including oil and gas, offshore, refining, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food processing, utilities, gas distribution, energy, power generation and in some case with government regulators.
Each online course will be led by a specific trainer but pre-recorded content features a range of trainers, each bringing a unique perspective to the course.
Previous delegates say
"The best thing about the course was the content and case studies with input from a number of experts. Having the course spread over five modules allowed reflection/looking at what the session meant in your own plant etc. which was very beneficial."
C Cormack, GSK
"The combination of presentations, videos and exercises were good to keep people interested in the course, rather than just reading pages and pages of presentations."
L Lawton, Abbott Risk Consulting
"The best thing was the break-out sessions...we were all given the opportunity to lead, and the videos of past incidents."
E Birigeni, Nigeria LNG
"Content was engaging and well-presented...it was my first experience of online training, and I would do it again."
M Carter, William Blythe Ltd
Module dates and times
Monday 19 October 2020, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Thursday 22 October 2020, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Monday 26 October 2020, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Thursday 29 October 2020, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Monday 2 November 2020, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future online courses.
- IChemE member: £1800 + VAT
- Non-member: £2160 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.