Live online course – starts on 13 August 2020.
This online course explores best practice in HAZOP leadership and management. You will learn about the application of the technique and how to plan and manage study programmes more effectively. You will also learn how best to lead study teams to ensure maximum effectiveness and successful project execution.
Case studies will allow you to undertake a range of project team roles and provide the opportunity to guide a virtual team through the HAZOP process.
Teaching will be delivered via three live modules (approximately 2—3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Certificates will be issued to candidates that pass an end-of-course assessment (certification does not act as IChemE HAZOP leader accreditation/endorsement).
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- prepare for a HAZOP study meeting and programme – including defining the scope of the study and choosing the team
- choose nodes (parts of the drawings or operation for HAZOP study)
- estimate the programme requirements for the successful completion of a study
- use facilitation techniques to motivate the team and keep them on task
- avoid common problems encountered during study meetings, including challenging behaviours
- formulate the HAZOP study report
- understand the team leader’s role in the implementation of recommendations and the management of the process.
Who will benefit
This course is for individuals experienced in the HAZOP technique who are required to lead HAZOP studies. It will also benefit process safety engineers, loss prevention specialists, production engineers, process design engineers, project engineers, process programmers and instrument control engineers.
- Planning a HAZOP programme
- Node identification and time estimation
- Preparation of the event
- Recording style, skills and development of recommendations
- HAZOP meeting facilitation
- Team dynamics
- Leadership through the study
- Development of the final report and action management
Previous delegates say
"Excellent trainer, he has great practical experience and knowledge. The pre-recorded sessions were a great idea and were very useful."
S Gurav, Brunei Shell Petroleum
"Meeting everyone online and hearing about their experiences was one of the best parts of the course."
E McKinnell, Denca Controls Ltd
"It's a hard topic to make interesting but the trainer used really good examples and situations."
B Passman, Corstella Ltd
Module dates and times
Thursday 13 August, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Thursday 20 August, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Thursday 27 August, 10:00–13:00 BST.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
See alternative dates >>
Not available then? Register your interest in future course dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via GoToWebinar®– check system requirements >>
You are advised to join the session at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.