Live online course – starts 1 March 2021.
You invest significant resources in the daily management, control and mitigation of risks at your organisation. However, avoiding or reducing hazards is inherently safer than controlling them.
This online course will give you a greater understanding of the concept of 'inherent safety' including the main principles, tools and measures for a safer, efficient and more profitable plant and operations.
There are major benefits and efficiencies to be achieved by promoting and creating an inherently safer working environment where the amount of hazardous material and hazardous operations are reduced. Unlike other risk management strategies, inherent safety seeks to remove hazards at source.
The concept of inherent safety was inspired originally by Trevor Kletz and attempts to eliminate hazards completely.
Teaching will be delivered via two live modules (approximately 2—3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
By the end of the course, you will understand:
- how to identify the principles of inherent safety
- how to promote an inherent safety message throughout organisations
- how inherent safety forms part of a wider safety management system.
Who will benefit
- Staff responsible for design, commissioning, decommissioning, construction and installation of plant
- Plant/process operators including maintenance functions
- Process safety engineers and loss prevention specialists
- Environmental engineers
Graduates, chemical and other engineers may find it beneficial in the preparation of their Chartered Member application. Those working towards the Professional Process Safety registration may also find it useful.
- Risk reduction strategies
- Inherent safety principles – elimination, minimisation, substitution, moderation, segregation, simplification
- Inherent safety in the project cycle
- An inherently safer design process
- Inherent safety benefits
- Inherent safety measurement
- Inherent safety regulatory compliance
- Green chemistry
Previous delegates say
"The course was excellent, with a good mixture of examples and case studies to illustrate the slides. The number of examples used really illustrated the range of improvements that inherent safety covers and made it easier to see how it can be applied to my work. Trish was excellent, really knowledgeable on the subject and helpful with questions."
K McFarlane, Johnson Matthey, UK
Module dates and times
Monday 1 March 2021, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
Tuesday 2 March 2021, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future course dates.
- IChemE member: £720 + VAT
- Non-member: £864 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.