Live online course – starts 16 November 2020.
You invest significant resources in the daily management, control and mitigation of risks at your organisation. However, avoiding or reducing hazards is inherently safer than controlling them.
This online course will give you a greater understanding of the concept of 'inherent safety' including the main principles, tools and measures for a safer, efficient and more profitable plant and operations.
There are major benefits and efficiencies to be achieved by promoting and creating an inherently safer working environment where the amount of hazardous material and hazardous operations are reduced. Unlike other risk management strategies, inherent safety seeks to remove hazards at source.
The concept of inherent safety was inspired originally by Trevor Kletz and attempts to eliminate hazards completely.
Teaching will be delivered via two live modules (approximately 2—3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
By the end of the course, you will understand:
- how to identify the principles of inherent safety
- how to promote an inherent safety message throughout organisations
- how inherent safety forms part of a wider safety management system
Who will benefit
- Staff responsible for design, commissioning, decommissioning, construction and installation of plant
- Plant/process operators including maintenance functions
- Process safety engineers and loss prevention specialists
- Environmental engineers
- Chemical engineers working towards Chartered status
- Those working towards the Professional Process Safety registration
- Risk reduction strategies
- Inherent safety principles – elimination, minimisation, substitution, moderation, segregation, simplification
- Inherent safety in the project cycle
- An inherently safer design process
- Inherent safety benefits
- Inherent safety measurement
- Inherent safety regulatory compliance
- Green chemistry
Module dates and times
Monday 16 November, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
Tuesday 17 November, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future course dates.
- IChemE member: £720 + VAT
- Non-member: £864 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via GoToWebinar®– check system requirements >>
You are advised to join the session at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.