Live online course – starts on 2 June 2020.
Layer of protection analysis (LOPA) is a semi-quantitative tool for analysing and assessing risk on a process plant. It uses an order of magnitude technique to evaluate the adequacy of existing or proposed layers of protection against known hazards.
This online course will help you understand how significant scenarios are categorised and tolerable frequencies assigned for identified hazardous events. You will also learn to assign risk categories and determine how many Independent Protection Layers (IPLs) should be in place. The course also covers the specification and requirements for a protection layer to be accepted as an IPL.
All the essential LOPA steps are practised in virtual workshops, including the use of software tools. Course materials also include a compendium of LOPA research papers, reference materials and further reading.
Teaching will be delivered via two live modules (approximately three hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions between modules.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
By the end of this course you will understand:
- the LOPA methodology and its application
- how to decide if a process needs a safety instrumented system (SIS)
- what safety integrity level (SIL) is required
- how to define an Independent Protection Layer (IPL)
- how to implement a process to manage these systems through the life cycle of an installation
- how to lead a LOPA study.
Who will benefit
- Process safety engineers
- Loss prevention specialists
- Production engineers
- Process design engineers
- Project engineers
- Process programmers
- Instrument control designers
- Anyone responsible for leading a LOPA study
- Concept, purpose and principles of LOPA
- LOPA methodology
- Selecting scenarios
- The LOPA process
- Describing scenarios
- Estimating initiating event frequencies
- Independent protection layers and their reliability
- LOPA study and documentation
- Advanced aspects
- Facilitating a LOPA study
- Responsibilities and challenges
Module dates and times
Tuesday 2 June, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Tuesday 9 June, 14:00–17:00 BST.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued between the modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future online courses.
- IChemE member: £720 + VAT
- Non-member: £864 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via GoToWebinar®– check system requirements >>
Please note that this course uses example spreadsheets that do not display correctly on a Mac computer. You are therefore strongly advised to use a Windows-based PC to access the course.
You are advised to join the session at least ten minutes before the scheduled start time, to allow for your computer to connect.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.
See our face-to-face courses later in the year >>