Live online course – starts 25 May 2021.
Effective risk assessment is key to protecting businesses against the potentially devastating impact of process safety incidents. In most countries it is also a legal requirement.
This online course will help you to develop the skills and knowledge to identify, assess and communicate process risks from a safety, environmental or business perspective, from a simple qualitative approach to fully quantified assessments.
It can also contribute to satisfying the 'Risk Assessment' competence of your application to become a Professional Process Safety Engineer.
Teaching will be delivered via two live modules (approximately 2—3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
By the end of the course, you will understand:
- individual and societal risk concepts
- risk tolerability
- the principle of demonstrating As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP)
- the five-stage risk assessment process, the different types of process risk assessments, and when to apply them
- qualitative, semi-quantitative and quantitative methods including risk matrices, bow-tie analysis, layer of protection analysis (LOPA), environmental risk assessment, fault-tree analysis, event-tree analysis, hazard analysis, quantitative risk assessment (QRA), and occupied buildings risk assessment.
Who will benefit
- Staff involved in the risk assessment process including supervisors, managers and directors
- Plant/process operators including maintenance functions
- Process safety engineers and loss prevention specialists
- Process risk
- Qualitative risk assessment
- Semi-quantitative risk assessment
- Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Environmental risk assessment
- Hazard analysis
- Quantified risk analysis
- Cost-benefit analysis
Previous delegates say
"An excellent introduction and exploration of process risk assessment. I gained insight in to how the various techniques link together and how subjectivity comes into it."
J Scarlett, Tradebe Solvent Recycling, UK
"The content was great...with a high level overview of the concepts and how to apply them in situations. Helen was fantastic and catered well to different experience levels."
S McKay, Syngenta, UK
"A well structured course with a good balance of pre-work and practical group activities."
C Ledingham, Severn Trent Water, UK
"My goal was to be aware of and use multiple techniques for plant risk assessments and the course provided the information I was after. Sending the material out prior to the live sessions for pre-reading was very beneficial.’’
S King, Ampol, Australia
Module dates and times
Tuesday 25 May 2021, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
Wednesday 27 May 2021, 10:00–13:00 GMT.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future course dates.
- IChemE member: £480 + VAT
- Non-member: £576 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.