On demand course.
Communication underpins all engineering activity. Developing our communication skills gives a significant advantage to individuals and to organisations.
This modular online course conveys the fundamental principles of effective communication, and builds on these principles to help engineers optimise their communication in various situations such as email, documents, meetings, and presentations. Techniques will be presented for getting the best out of challenging face-to-face discussions. The course will also consider the best way to connect with an audience, either in writing or when making a presentation. It has been developed with the specific needs of the chemical engineer in mind.
The modules, each around 60 minutes in length, are effective as stand-alone training sessions or as part of a modular programme.
Why communication skills are important for engineers
The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) sets out the competence and commitment required for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
The specification requires engineers to demonstrate effective communication and inter-personal skills such as:
- contributing to discussions
- making presentations
- reading and synthesising information
- writing different types of documents
- working effectively with colleagues, clients, suppliers or the public.
What's included in the series
- Four 60-minute sessions
- Four digital recordings for your personal use
- Digital copies of all slides and supporting materials (PDF) for your personal use
- E-certificate of attendance, including hours allocation, for CPD purposes (on request)
Module 1: An introduction to effective communication for engineers
- The benefits of effective communication
- The difficulties of effective communication
- Empathy, listening and body language
- Introducing the Shannon and Weaver model of communication
Module 2: How to be a versatile communicator
- Different communication styles
- Knowing your style
- Adapting your style to connect with others
- Modes of communication
Module 3: How to optimise face-to-face communication
- Developing assertive behaviour
- Effective meetings
- Negotiation skills
- Handling and resolving conflict
- Giving and receiving feedback
Module 4: How to connect with an audience
- Know your audience
- Get your story straight
- Connecting through written documents
- Connecting through presentations
This option allows you to purchase the course for up to 10 individual users at a significantly reduced price of £1055 + VAT. Find out more>>
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.