Live online course – dates to be confirmed.
Whether you are new to project and construction management, or have previous experience, this is an opportunity to review best practice when managing engineering projects.
This online course will help you to understand the range of project management systems, tools and techniques that are available when managing engineering projects.
You'll discover how to apply a structured approach to project delivery and how to manage the issues that will inevitably crop up during a project life-cycle.
Teaching will be delivered via three live modules (approx. 2-3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
- Understand the range of project management systems, tools and techniques available
- Understand best practice when managing engineering projects
- Be able to take a more structured approach to project delivery
- Feel more confident about managing issues during the project life-cycle
Who will benefit
- Engineers new to project and construction management
- Project managers with some years of experience
- Construction engineers and managers
- Line managers
- Project basics
- Performance 1: measuring project performance, managing scope, managing quality, managing time
- Performance 2: managing resources, managing cost, integration
- Performance 3: managing contracting, managing risk (including HSE risk)
- Process: project phases, project organisation, managing information, managing communication
- Governance: opportunities, benefits management, assurance, stakeholder engagement
- People: teams, individuals, leadership
- Review and reflection
Previous delegates say
"An excellent overview of project management."
S Ritchie, Optimus, UK
"The course provided an excellent grounding in capital project management in the process industries. Charles obviously had a wealth of experience and was able to share that with the group well."
R Holden, Essar Oil, UK
"The content was extremely effective in laying out a structured approach to key elements of project management."
M Larkin, Chemoxy International, UK
"The exercises were well thought-out and seemed relatable to real-world scenarios."
C Speers, PQ Corporation, UK
Charles Cowley is joined by co-trainer Geoff Smethills, a project consultant with 35 years of international capital project and maintenance experience with Royal Dutch Shell across Europe and Asia Pacific.
During his career in Shell, Geoff held numerous leadership positions in major capital project development and delivery in multicultural environments. The majority of his projects were complex brownfield with significant operational interface, often requiring leadership of major turnarounds.
Geoff has extensive experience in competence development, assessment, coaching and mentoring. He spent four years as the Senior Lecturer for Shell Project Academy, responsible for the overall curriculum and delivery of the senior blended learning events around the globe.
As Global Discipline Head, he was responsible for the development of Shell’s 1500+ project engineering staff and the company's Project Management Framework for development and delivery of their $20bn annual capital project programme.
Module dates and times
To be confirmed.
To be confirmed.
To be confirmed.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Register your interest in future course dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.