Live online course – starts on 9 August 2021.
Engineers need to understand the basis and practicalities of contract law in order to deliver successful projects and supplier relationships. Failure to understand the basics can prove very expensive.
If you are dealing with suppliers and managing contracts on a regular basis, it's important for you to be able to make informed decisions without waiting to consult with legal specialists.
This online course is designed to provide you with a grounding in contract law for engineering and construction contracts, and how it is used to help deliver successful projects and supplier relationships.
Teaching will be delivered via two live modules (approx. two–three hours in length each).
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
By the end of this course you will understand:
- the role and purpose of contracts for engineering
- the role of engineers in contract formation and management
- how contracts are formed and ended
- the terms and conditions and obligations placed on each party to the contract
- how risk is allocated in different types of contract
- processes for dispute and conflict resolution.
Who will benefit
- Project managers
- Contract managers
- Contract administrators
- Consulting engineers
- Quantity surveyors
- Sales and purchasing managers/personnel
- General managers
- Graduate engineers
- Introduction to contracts – how and why they are formed
- Common pitfalls: verbal contracts, modified contracts, battle of the forms
- Key terms and conditions in contracts, express and implied terms of contracts
- Warranties, guarantees, IPR and damages
- Standard and specialist forms of contract
- Discharge of contract, breaches and damages
- The role of the engineer and project manager
- Contract management and variation
- Contracts, the law and ethics
Module dates and times
Monday 9 August 2021, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Tuesday 10 August 2021, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Not available then? Register your interest in future course dates.
You may also be interested in our IChemE Forms of Contract course.
- IChemE member: £720 + VAT
- Non-member: £864 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.