Live online course – starts on 11 May 2021.
Contract disputes cost money, take valuable time to resolve and can damage good relations. However, they can be avoided by using the IChemE Forms of Contract. This online course will show you how to get the most out of these contracts.
The IChemE Forms of Contract are drafted as performance-based contracts for the design and construction of a process plant and other output-based projects. Specifically addressing the liabilities and testing regimes appropriate for a performance plant, they are used extensively across a range of process industries.
This online course examines both the UK and international suites of contracts: their approach to risk and payment, their structure, how they govern work from initial requirements through design to fully commissioned and operational plant, and party liabilities.
Teaching will be delivered via three live modules (approx. two–three hours in length each).
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
By the end of this course you will understand:
- the main provisions, structure and features of the IChemE Forms of Contract and the key differences between them
- the various stages of a process plant contract
- the key procedures to be followed
- the various certificates to be issued by the project manager
- the key differences between a lump sum, cost reimbursable and target cost contract
- how to put a contract together
- the liabilities of the parties under the contracts.
Who will benefit
Anyone preparing or tendering a contract using the forms or those who will manage such a contract as a client, consultant or contractor including project and contract managers, contract administrators, engineers, consultants, consulting engineers, quantity surveyors and graduate engineers.
- The nature of process plant contracts
- The structure of contracts based on the UK and international forms
- The duties of the contractor and the purchaser
- The various stages of the works
- The testing regime
- The role of the project manager
- Cost allocation
- The difference between price and cost-based contracts and the consequent differences in cost liabliity
- The different payment terms in the lump sum Red Book, the cost reimbursable Green Book, and the target cost Burgundy Book
An outline is given of the new Silver Book (for professional services and consultancy), the Yellow and Brown Books (for subcontracts) and the Orange Book (for minor works), and of the dispute resolution procedures. How these matters are dealt with in the international forms is also considered.
Module dates and times
Tuesday 11 May 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Tuesday 18 May 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Tuesday 25 May 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Not available then? Register your interest in future course dates.
You may also be interested in our What Engineers Need to Know About Contracts course.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.