Live online course – starts on 13 September 2021.
This online course explores best practice in HAZOP leadership and management. You will learn about the application of the technique and how to plan and manage study programmes more effectively. You will also learn how best to lead study teams to ensure maximum effectiveness and successful project execution.
Case studies will allow you to undertake a range of project team roles and provide the opportunity to guide a virtual team through the HAZOP process.
Teaching will be delivered via three live modules (approximately 2—3 hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Certificates will be issued to candidates that pass an end-of-course assessment (certification does not act as IChemE HAZOP leader accreditation/endorsement).
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- prepare for a HAZOP study meeting and programme – including defining the scope of the study and choosing the team
- choose nodes (parts of the drawings or operation for HAZOP study)
- estimate the programme requirements for the successful completion of a study
- use facilitation techniques to motivate the team and keep them on task
- avoid common problems encountered during study meetings, including challenging behaviours
- formulate the HAZOP study report
- understand the team leader’s role in the implementation of recommendations and the management of the process.
Who will benefit
This course is for individuals experienced in the HAZOP technique who are required to lead HAZOP studies. It will also benefit process safety engineers, loss prevention specialists, production engineers, process design engineers, project engineers, process programmers and instrument control engineers.
- Planning a HAZOP programme
- Node identification and time estimation
- Preparation of the event
- Recording style, skills and development of recommendations
- HAZOP meeting facilitation
- Team dynamics
- Leadership through the study
- Development of the final report and action management
Previous delegates say
"The course is well balanced between awareness of HAZOP procedure knowledge and its application in real-life situations."
A Adewole, ICoNiChem, UK
"Excellent trainer, he has great practical experience and knowledge. The pre-recorded sessions were a great idea and were very useful."
S Gurav, Shell Petroleum, Brunei
"A very interactive course with very good material, very well presented."
L Gasimova, Wood, UK
"I found it very interesting to learn more about how you can lead / ask questions and comments within a HAZOP to promote a positive and constructive response."
J Hill, Pfizer, UK
"The best thing about the course was the real-life examples which highlighted the result of process failures."
M Kent, Prochem Engineering, Ireland
"The course reflected industry approaches to HAZOP and was very up to date in the guidance given and recommendations made."
D Lyons, PFGi, Ireland
Module dates and times
Monday 13 September 2021, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Monday 20 September 2021, 10:00–13:00 BST.
Monday 27 September 2021, 10:00–13:00 BST.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest in future dates.
Also available: HAZOP for Team Leaders and Team Members
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.