Live online course – dates to be confirmed (GMT).
You invest significant resources in the daily management, control and mitigation of risks at your organisation. However, avoiding or reducing hazards is inherently safer than controlling them.
This online course will give you a greater understanding of the concept of 'inherent safety' including the main principles, tools and measures for a safer, efficient and more profitable plant and operations.
There are major benefits and efficiencies to be achieved by promoting and creating an inherently safer working environment where the amount of hazardous material and hazardous operations are reduced. Unlike other risk management strategies, inherent safety seeks to remove hazards at source.
The concept of inherent safety was inspired originally by Trevor Kletz and attempts to eliminate hazards completely.
Teaching will be delivered via two live sessions (approximately 2—3 hours in length each) and pre-recorded video content for independent study.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
By the end of the course, you will understand:
- how to identify the principles of inherent safety
- how to promote an inherent safety message throughout organisations
- how inherent safety forms part of a wider safety management system.
Who will benefit
- Staff responsible for design, commissioning, decommissioning, construction and installation of plant
- Plant/process operators including maintenance functions
- Process safety engineers and loss prevention specialists
- Environmental engineers
Graduates, chemical and other engineers may find it beneficial in the preparation of their Chartered Member application. Those working towards the Professional Process Safety registration may also find it useful.
- Risk reduction strategies
- Inherent safety principles – elimination, minimisation, substitution, moderation, segregation, simplification
- Inherent safety in the project cycle
- An inherently safer design process
- Inherent safety benefits
- Inherent safety measurement
- Inherent safety regulatory compliance
- Green chemistry
Previous delegates said
"The course was excellent, with a good mixture of examples and case studies to illustrate the slides. The number of examples used really illustrated the range of improvements that inherent safety covers and made it easier to see how it can be applied to my work. Trish was excellent, really knowledgeable on the subject and helpful with questions."
K McFarlane, Johnson Matthey, UK
To be confirmed.
To be confirmed.
Pre-recorded video content will be provided for independent study before/between modules.
Register your interest in future dates.
- IChemE Member: £720 + VAT
- Non-member: £864 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.