Live online course – starts on 9 September 2021.
Layer of protection analysis (LOPA) is a semi-quantitative tool for analysing and assessing risk on a process plant. It uses an order of magnitude technique to evaluate the adequacy of existing or proposed layers of protection against known hazards.
This online course will help you understand how significant scenarios are categorised and tolerable frequencies assigned for identified hazardous events. You will also learn to assign risk categories and determine how many Independent Protection Layers (IPLs) should be in place. The course also covers the specification and requirements for a protection layer to be accepted as an IPL.
All the essential LOPA steps are practised in virtual workshops, including the use of software tools. Course materials also include a compendium of LOPA research papers, reference materials and further reading.
Teaching will be delivered via three live modules (approximately three hours in length each), alongside independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged.
By the end of this course you will understand:
- the LOPA methodology and its application
- how to decide if a process needs a safety instrumented system (SIS)
- what safety integrity level (SIL) is required
- how to define an Independent Protection Layer (IPL)
- how to implement a process to manage these systems through the life cycle of an installation
- how to lead a LOPA study.
Who will benefit
- Process safety engineers
- Loss prevention specialists
- Production engineers
- Process design engineers
- Project engineers
- Process programmers
- Instrument control designers
- Anyone responsible for leading a LOPA study
- Concept, purpose and principles of LOPA
- LOPA methodology
- Selecting scenarios
- The LOPA process
- Describing scenarios
- Estimating initiating event frequencies
- Independent protection layers and their reliability
- LOPA study and documentation
- Advanced aspects
- Facilitating a LOPA study
- Responsibilities and challenges
Previous delegates say
"The theory and principles were covered very well and enabled me to put them into practice in the worked examples."
S Allan, Johnson Matthey, UK
"I came away from the course with a good understanding of what LOPA is about and how to apply it."
D Stevenson, Lanxess Urethanes, UK
"The trainer was very engaging with good practical examples and good interaction with the group."
S Branagh, Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Ireland
"The best thing about the course was the practical discussion around the application of LOPA and the common pitfalls."
V Gupta, Lagoni Engineering, UK
Module dates and times
Thursday 9 September 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Thursday 16 September 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
Thursday 23 September 2021, 14:00–17:00 BST.
There will be independent study and pre-recorded video sessions issued before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest for future online dates.
- IChemE member: £1080 + VAT
- Non-member: £1296 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Please note: this course uses example spreadsheets that do not display correctly on a Mac computer. You are therefore strongly advised to use a Windows-based PC to access the course.
This can also be delivered as a virtual in-company course. Contact us for more details.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.