A four-day residential programme designed to help managers to develop the skills to meet the learning requirements of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership.
During the four days, we’ll explore the role of a manager in general, focusing on the importance of providing leadership as well as the practical side of management. In addition, we’ll look at how to get the best from individuals and manage their performance.
You’ll learn how to take care of teams to ensure that they function smoothly, effectively and collaboratively, and understand the role a manager has in managing and leading change within the organisation.
After the Bootcamp, you will be required to undertake self-guided study and successfully complete assignments (of either 3000 or 5000 words) in order to achieve the Level 5 Diploma.
About the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
With 450,000 corporate and 87,000 individual members the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is the only professional body in the UK dedicated to promoting the highest standards of management and leadership.
- Four-day residential programme
- Accommodation and meals
- CMI registration fees
- Chartered Manager application fee
- Access to ManagementDirect, CMI’s online multimedia knowledge base
- An Engineer360 report
After completing the qualification, you will be able to:
- define the skills associated with leadership and management
- improve the way you manage the performance of individuals
- better set and review objectives
- deliver feedback that gets results
- implement team and individual performance review systems
- understand the way in which individuals develop their competence and better respond to their needs
- identify areas of poor performance
- use a model for coaching to support development
- understand the key elements that make a team 'high performing'
- diagnose the stage of a team's development and how to support the team's growth
- define the differences in managing remote teams
- understand the need for change
- identify the common barriers to change
- understand an individual's response to change and how to manage them through the process
- understand a change management model and how to use it to implement successful change.
Who will benefit
Exclusive to engineering managers with three or more years' experience in people, project, or resource management, who want to continue developing their leadership capability, and get recognised for it. Proof of professional registration and/or experience will be required upon booking.
- Do I need to be a Leader or a Manager?
- Action Centred Leadership
- DiSC Styles
- DISC People-Reading Profile
- Definition of Trust and Questionnaire
- Performance Management
- SMART Goal Setting
- Skill/Will diagnosis matrix
- Leadership flexibility
- Feedback – Four Stage Model
- Understanding feedback
- Guidelines for giving and receiving feedback
- Providing Feedback
- Feedback - well delivered ‘vs’ poorly delivered
- Coaching spectrum
- The ask/tell coaching model
- The coaching process
- The GROW model
- Useful questions when using ‘GROW’
- Groups versus teams
- Principles of Teamwork
- Stages of Team Development
- Characteristics of a High Performing Team
- Challenges of virtual teams
- Critical success factors of virtual teams
- A changing world
- Understanding barriers to change
- Dealing with feelings during change
- Role of a change leader
- The change curve
- Stakeholder Management
- Stakeholder analysis form
- Making change last
“John is an excellent trainer. He knows the material inside out and peppers the delivery with his own pertinent, and relevant, anecdotes which bring the content to life. He welcomes discourse with himself and attendees and uses these asides to further develop our learning and subsequent application. I highly recommend John and the bootcamp to any and all aspiring Chartered Managers."
Gregory Kemble, University of Bristol
“This is really worth it and will help me become a better leader and manager. The tools shared on the course are helpful in a lot of scenarios in the workplace. Worth every minute.”
Jayesh Ramdas Chinchole, Network Rail (L&D)
Book by 5 October 2022 (for the December 2022 date) or by 26 April 2023 (for the June 2023 date) and save 10%.
This is a course run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). For more information about the course or to book your place, contact firstname.lastname@example.org