Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
Successful chemical process scale-up can be a formidable challenge due to a combination of several factors that only become clear at a change of process scale. This course explores the fundamentals of chemical process scale-up and provides a practical guide to predicting and avoiding common issues, to help you minimise the risk of unforeseen problems.
Initially, we will identify the main challenges in scale-up and review the key chemical engineering tools required for addressing them. We will then apply these tools to approach scale-up problems which involve fluid mixing, heat transfer, mass transfer, chemical reactors and particulate processes. Finally, we will address practical issues relating to scale-up. Throughout the course we will draw on examples from a wide range of processes and unit operations. Process safety is hard-wired into the course and will be a continuous theme.
By the end of the course, you should:
- be aware of the challenges and risks involved in process scale-up
- be familiar with the essential chemical engineering tools for addressing scale-up challenges
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving fluid flow and mixing
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving heat transfer
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving mass transfer
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of chemical reactors
- appreciate how to tackle scale-up of operations involving particulates
- understand the benefit of semi-batch reactor operation
- be aware of the potential issues created by increased batch processing time
- be aware of materials of construction constraints
- be aware of the impact of changes in rheology
- be aware of foaming, fouling and deposition problems.
Who will benefit
Anyone with a technical background who is involved in process development and process scale-up.
Previous delegates said
"It's given me a much better understanding of what's in the toolbox and where to start with scale-up. Definitely useful for my awareness. I thought it was good how Jamie brought in the process safety side – if it's not done right, what the impacts can be."
P Foran, Johnson-Matthey, UK
- The challenges of process scale-up
- Chemical engineering tools (mass and energy balances, transport mechanics, dimensional analytics)
- Fluid mixing issues
- Heat transfer issues
- Mass transfer issues
- Chemical reaction issues
- Particle processing issues
- Semi-batch operations
- Increased batch processing time
- Materials of construction
- Changes in rheology
- Foaming, fouling and deposition
Online courses consist of three live and interactive modules with the trainer together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 5 March 2024
- Module 1 – 5 March 2024, 14:00–17:00 GMT
- Module 2 – 12 March 2024, 14:00–17:00 GMT
- Module 3 – 19 March 2024, 14:00–17:00 GMT
From 2 July 2024
- Module 1 – 2 July 2024, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 2 – 9 July 2024, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 3 – 16 July 2024, 10:00–13:00 BST
From 4 July 2024
- Module 1 – 4 July 2024, 13:00–16:00 AWST/MYT / 15:00–18:00 AEST / 17:00–20:00 NZST
- Module 2 – 11 July 2024, 13:00–16:00 AWST/MYT / 15:00–18:00 AEST / 17:00–20:00 NZST
- Module 3 – 18 July 2024, 13:00–16:00 AWST/MYT / 15:00–18:00 AEST / 17:00–20:00 NZST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 18–20 June 2024, Manchester, UK
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
Course fees vary depending on delivery format and location. Select your preferred course date to see the relevant fees.
Early booking discount
Book by 2 February 2024 and save 25%. Use discount code EARLY25. This code cannot be used in conjunction with other offers eg multi-place discounts.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
Attendance certificate & CPD hours
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.