Diversity, equality and inclusion
For all members regarding equal opportunity and anti-discrimination
The Institution of Chemical Engineers is committed to a policy of equality and inclusion for all its members and stakeholders. We oppose all forms of unfair and unlawful discrimination and recognise the value of diversity in the workplace.
Evidence shows that diversity and inclusion are important elements of good business practice. IChemE values the diversity that men and women with differing backgrounds, skills, abilities and ages bring to the Institution. We will endeavour to foster an environment free from harassment and unfair discrimination in which individual potential can be harnessed to maximise benefit to the chemical engineering community.
It is our policy to:
- increase awareness of diversity, equality and inclusion through member activity and appropriate publications and media
- research and reduce obstacles to equal opportunities challenge and highlight discrimination if it occurs
- support member led activity that addresses diversity (eg women in engineering events)
- share examples of good practice
- monitor and keep under review IChemE policies and practices within the Institution to ensure the promotion of equal opportunities
This policy applies to members of all grades, employees, applicants and other stakeholders. The Institution also encourages its members to follow a similar equality, diversity and inclusion policy in their workplaces.
IChemE is a signatory to the Royal Academy of Engineering diversity concordat and the Science Council declaration on diversity, equality and inclusion.