Finalists announced for IChemE Malaysia Awards 2018
26th July 2018
The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) Malaysia Awards 2018 finalists were announced today, with 38 entries in with a chance of winning a trophy for excellence in chemical and process engineering. The winners will be presented with their prizes on 15 October 2018 at the InterContinental Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
A new category, the Student Chapter Award, has been introduced for the first time this year. It recognises significant achievements by Malaysian chemical engineering students.
The Student Chapter initiative was introduced to provide a platform for Malaysian universities to promote latest developments in the profession amongst chemical engineering students and provide professional networking opportunities.
Petronas Group Technical Solutions, IOI Bio-Energy Sdn Bhd, Synthomer, Curtin University Malaysia, Heriot-Watt University Malaysia and Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) all feature as finalists in the categories awarding overall projects or teams.
In the categories awarding individual achievement – Young Industrialist Award and Young Researcher Award – finalists include two industrialists from Petronas Group Technical Solutions, and individuals from Sime Darby Plantation, Wood Group, and Petronas Chemicals Ammonia Sdn. Bhd. Researchers from Petronas Research Sdn Bhd, Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Xiamen University Malaysia and Heriot-Watt University Malaysia have been shortlisted for Young Researcher.
Winners of the IChemE Malaysia Awards will be automatically entered into corresponding categories at the IChemE Global Awards, held in Manchester, UK, on 1 November. Winners of the Global Awards are eligible for the overall Award for Outstanding Achievement in Chemical and Process Engineering.
Dr Christina Phang, Chair of IChemE in Malaysia, said:
“Progress in chemical engineering and the benefits it brings to our society in Malaysia, and around the world, just couldn’t happen without the contribution of the hardworking professionals in our community, including this year’s finalists. The IChemE Malaysia Awards are a testament to the ongoing commitment of excellence in chemical engineering by these individuals.
“Once again, we’ve had some fantastic entries and I’d like to thank everyone who has taken the time to enter this year’s Awards. Congratulations to all our finalists and I hope you have a wonderful evening celebrating with your peers.”
The IChemE Malaysia Awards celebrate excellence, innovation and achievement in the chemical, process and biochemical industries. At last year’s ceremony, PETRONAS taking home three out of the seven Awards. For more information, please visit www.icheme.org/malaysiaawards.
Official Finalists for the IChemE Malaysia Awards 2018
Oil & Gas Award
- NGLTech Sdn. Bhd. - Low Pressure Condensate Recovery (LP-CRS) System
- MLNG Group of Companies – Sustainability - Novel Approach in Waste Reduction
- Petronas Research Sdn Bhd - PN1 Multi- Fiber Membrane for CO2 Gas Separation
- Petronas, Group Technical Solutions - Flow Assurance Challenges for Deepwater Decommissioning
- Petronas Group Technical Solutions; Petronas Chemicals Olefins Glycol and Derivatives - Ethanolamine Reactor Online Chemical Cleaning
Palm Oil Award
- IOI ACIDCHEM Sdn. Bhd.- Waste heat recovery VAC
- IOI Bio-Energy Sdn Bhd - Eco Fouling Project
- IOI Bio-Energy Sdn Bhd - Heat Recovery for Boiler
- IOI Edible Oils Sdn Bhd - Heat recovery using Vent Economizers
- Sime Darby Research Sdn Bhd; Monash University Malaysia - Palm Oil Washing with Bio-based Solution
Process Safety Award
- MLNG Group of Companies - Managing mercury threat on aluminium equipment
- Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu) Sdn. Bhd.- Plant Instrumentation Process Safety Management Excellence
- Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu) Sdn. Bhd - Rejuvenated Tank Farm's Oil Movement Automation System
- Synthomer - Kluang NBR Butadiene Storage Safety Upgrade
- Synthomer - QP Styrene Bulk Storage
Student Chapter Award
- Curtin University Malaysia
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Monash University Malaysia
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR)
- Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP)
- IOI ACIDCHEM Sdn Bhd.- Waste heat recovery VAC
- MLNG Group of Companies – Sustainability- Novel Approach in Waste Reduction
- Petronas Research Sdn. Bhd. - PN2 Membrane for Fuel Gas Conditioning
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang - Zero Waste Process for wastewater treatment
- Universiti Sains Malaysia - Innovative Palm Oil Mill Effluent Treatment
Training & Development Award
- CAPS Universiti Teknologi Petronas - Centre of Advanced Process Safety
- CNOOC Deepwater Department - CNOOC Deepwater Flow Assurance Team
- Petronas Chemicals Ammonia Sdn. Bhd. - PCASB Process Safety 3Sixty (PS3Sixty)
- Synthomer - SynGP Programme
Young Industrialist Award
- Petronas Chemicals Ammonia Sdn. Bhd. - Nurhamizah Binti Ismail
- Petronas Group Technical Solutions (GTS) - Abdul Rahim Norman
- Petronas Group Technical Solutions (GTS) - Upenthiran Ganeson
- Sime Darby Plantation - Chew Chien Lye @ Mervin
- Wood Group - Dhanaraj Turunawarasu
Young Researcher Award
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia - Viknesh Andiappan Murugappan
- Petronas Research Sdn Bhd - Ahmad Syukri Na'im Bin Mohd Hanafiah
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas - Norwahyu Binti Jusoh
- Xiamen University Malaysia - Ong Wee Jun