Continuing professional development (CPD) forms part of the application requirement for some grades of IChemE membership. Once you’re awarded the relevant grade, you’ll need to continue with appropriate CPD activity, develop ongoing plans, and keep a CPD record whilst you remain professionally active*.
In addition to our own CPD requirements, our various licensing bodies require us to review a random sample of members’ CPD records each year. As part of the review, members will be asked to complete a CPD submission form and provide supporting evidence. All submissions are peer-reviewed and brief feedback may be given.
To assist members with the planning and recording of their CPD we provide the mycareerpath online tool, but members can choose another method if preferred.
Requirements by grade/registration
- MIChemE, FIChemE and CEng
- IEng and EngTech
- CSci, RSci and RSciTech
- Professional Process Safety Engineer
- view IChemE's CPD policy
- visit our careers pages for general information about continuing professional development
- watch our CPD webinar recording. The first section talks about CPD in general terms - what, why, how, etc. The second part (approx 46:30 minutes in) goes into more detail about the IChemE CPD policy and how it applies to IChemE members.
- browse our frequently asked questions.
*Those who are retired, unemployed or on a career break may be exempt. See our frequently asked questions page for further information.