Online | In-company
This course provides an overview of the key concepts for successful management of pressure systems.
It provides an overview of legislation, common hazards and how to address both physical and human factor risks for safely managing pressure systems. It also covers key legal requirements and how they can be managed effectively via an Asset Integrity Barrier Management approach using BowTie methodology.
The strengths and limitations of the approaches described are discussed and examined throughout the course. Human and organisational factors in managing pressure systems are also considered.
The course includes appropriate practical examples and exercises to aid and consolidate learning, including developing your own BowTie diagram, as well as discussion about specific incidents and how they could have been prevented.
The course aligns with current industry guidance. It is platform neutral and does not favour any specific industry or sector.
By the end of this course, you will understand the:
- key legal duties under general and specific pressure systems legislation
- common hazards and risks affecting the management and operation of pressure systems and how a barrier management approach can be an effective risk management approach
- key concepts regarding identification and risk management of ageing assets
- purpose, value, contents, competence requirements, etc of a written scheme of examination
- importance for managing asset integrity throughout the complete life cycle
- criteria for managing changes to assets, organisational, documentary and regulatory dimensions
- key concepts of effective leadership, safety culture and competency.
Who will benefit
- Anyone with a basic understanding of managing or operating pressure systems who wants to improve their knowledge and skills in this area.
- The course will particularly benefit management, engineering, operations/maintenance and HSE personnel with responsibility for managing pressure systems hazards and implementing/sustaining risk control measures.
- General health and safety and pressure systems law
- Common pressure systems hazards and risks and the barrier approach to identification, assessment and managing risks
- Ageing assets
- Written scheme of examination (WSE)
- Asset integrity throughout the full lifecycle
- Management of change (MoC) – asset, organisational, documentation and regulatory
- Leadership, culture and competence
Previous delegates said
"The best thing about the course was being guided through the definitions to help understand roles and responsibility of the different stakeholders for the different situations. The group discussions were good and the use of teams allowed everyone to contribute during the presentations."
R Tara, National Nuclear Laboratory, UK
"The course gave a good overview of the thinking behind intent-based regulations."
R Schaper, Brunei Shell Petroleum Sdn Bhd
Online courses consist of two live and interactive module with the trainer on the dates indicated.
From 5 June 2023
- Module 1 – 5 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
- Module 2 – 7 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
No scheduled dates.
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
Bowtie Analysis and Barrier-Based Risk Management
Learn about the bowtie methodology for risk assessment and how to conduct a bowtie analysis effectively.