Troubleshooting Distillation Controls
Online | In-company
Join recognised expert Henry Kister online to learn how to get the best performance from a distillation column control system.
Through Henry's extensive experience, you will learn how to troubleshoot a distillation control system and identify causes of poor performance, evaluate existing column control performance, avoid common causes of instability, and develop improvements to your column control system. Henry will use case studies throughout to illustrate the principles and highlight control systems that did not work.
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- troubleshoot a distillation control system and identify causes of poor performance
- evaluate existing column control performance and develop new designs
- avoid common causes of instability, off-spec products, excessive energy consumption, hammering, fouling, and other operating issues resulting from deficiencies in the control system
- incorporate lessons from past experience for developing or improving a column control system.
Who will benefit
- Engineers and operation personnel responsible for operating, troubleshooting, designing and revamping distillation columns in the chemical, petrochemical and oil refining industries
- Process control engineers engaged in control system optimisation and improvements
- Managers and supervisors endeavouring to get the best performance from an existing or new distillation unit
- Distillation control overall schemes troubleshooting
- Troublesome temperature controls and sidedraw controls
- Pressure and condenser process controls troubleshooting
- Reboiler process controls troubleshooting
- Discussion time
View a detailed course outline
This session provides an opportunity to briefly discuss plant issues with Henry and the other participants. Anyone wishing to take this opportunity should inform IChemE ahead of the course so they can be allocated discussion time in this session. Please include a problem statement and sketch which will be forwarded to Henry to review ahead of the session.
You are encouraged to prepare presentation materials in a simplified form that everyone in the audience can easily follow. We suggest you avoid elaborate P&I’s and detailed drawings, but have detailed information available of the configuration of lines connecting to drums and seal pots (enter from the top or bottom, via slotted pipes or bare nozzles, into the vapor or liquid space, etc).
The following topics are outside the scope of this course and will not be covered:
- advanced controls of distillation columns
- constraints controls
- batch distillation controls
- reactive distillation controls
- controls of dividing wall columns
- setting tuning constants
- control valve selection
- control hardware.
Previous delegates said
"It is easy to see why Henry is the industry expert. Super enthusiastic and kept me engaged throughout the course...I learnt so much in such a short space of time. Not a minute was wasted."
B Robinson, Syngenta, UK
"The best thing about the course was the breadth and depth of knowledge of the presenter and the fact it had multi-industry based examples...Henry Kister is an inspiring and engaging presenter."
G Taylor, Chivas Brothers,UK
Online courses consist of three live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated.
From 25 April 2023
- Module 1 – 25 April 2023, 16:00–21:00 BST*
- Module 2 – 26 April 2023, 16:00–21:00 BST*
- Module 3 – 27 April 2023, 16:00–21:00 BST*
* the session times are approximate – they may last longer depending on Q&A. There will be a break of approximately 40 minutes during each session.
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
No scheduled dates.
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
Practical Distillation Technology
Learn about distillation technology with world-renowned expert, Henry Kister.