From bids and proposals, to operating procedures and reviews, technical writing involves a wide range of document types and readers. Our documents are often the main visible output of our technical expertise. The quality of the document gives the reader an impression of the quality of our technical work.
This practical course is suitable for anyone interested in developing the quality of their documents and the efficiency of the writing process. It takes you through each step from identifying the target audience and their needs; planning, structuring and writing your report; through to presenting the final document.
The course will help you to:
- identify and understand your audience
- communicate your ideas efficiently and accurately to others in a language that is appropriate for the reader
- use best practice in structuring and writing your document
- present your final report with confidence.
Who will benefit
Engineers and scientists at all levels who are required to produce written documents on a regular basis. The course will also suit non-technical people who write for a technical audience.
- Fundamentals of communication
- Planning: know your aim, your audience, your message and your format
- Writing: appropriate style, vocabulary and punctuation
- Reviewing: checking content and presentation
Practical exercises and activities are used extensively throughout the course to encourage learning.
"The course made me realise a number of things I did daily and took for granted were actually wrong." Grimley Smith Associates.
"The course had a good balance of philosophical concepts and practical focus on core skills." KPMG.
"A very well presented course." Tate & Lyle.
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places — 5% discount
- 3 places — 10% discount
- 4 or more places — 15% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
This course is also available as an in-company course (face-to-face or online) where content can be customised to meet your organisation's specific needs and delivered on a date/location that suits your requirements. Contact us for more information.