Oil and Natural Gas
IChemE’s Special Interest Group for Oil and Natural Gas (known as SONG) has an international membership drawn from the whole spectrum of businesses involved in oil and gas production and processing, including onshore and offshore operations. SONG’s subject area extends from the hydrocarbon reservoir to the point where oil and/or gas are available as saleable primary products, ready for transport by pipeline or tanker.
SONG holds events in the UK and Malaysia, some of which are broadcast live online for those unable to attend in person.
View SONG event listings for 2021 >>
- promote professional aspects of the oil and gas industry, from its original upstream activities to downstream oil and gas processing areas
- broaden the knowledge of members in the technology of hydrocarbons
- act as a focal point for sharing experiences in research, design and operations
- encourage networking.
- regular meetings held in London, with live webcast for those unable to attend in person
- regular meetings held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at Dayabumi Complex
- technical seminars to support professional development and to share knowledge
- collaboration with other IChemE groups and co-sponsorship of events with related professional bodies
- travel grants for students and recent graduates attending events
- support of IChemE’s whynotchemeng campaign promoting chemical engineering as a career choice to young people
- participation in the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Chemistry at Work events programme giving school students an insight into chemical engineering
- networking via events and discussion forums
- representation of professional interests within the wider process community.
To contact IChemE's special interest group support staff, email Special Interest Groups.
To suggest ideas for future talks and potential volunteers for speakers please email SONG.