Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
This course is intended for people with a technical background, for whom an insight into chemical engineering would be useful in their job role. It aims to convey a conceptual understanding of the subject, revealing the chemical engineering approach to problem solving, and explaining the core concepts.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning to convey key concepts. It is designed to accommodate a range of delegate backgrounds, from pure science to practising engineer.
Optional pre-course material will be issued to help you recall relevant aspects of basic mathematics, physics and chemistry for those who might like a quick refresher. You will also receive a copy of Data for Chemical Engineering Students, an essential concepts, principles and formulae booklet.
By the end of the course, participants should:
- know how chemical engineering differs from other branches of science and engineering
- appreciate how their current knowledge relates to chemical engineering
- be aware of the operating principles for common unit operations
- know the chemical engineer's perspective on chemistry
- appreciate, and demonstrate a typical chemical engineering problem-solving approach
- understand the principles of mass and energy balances and be able to solve simple problems
- appreciate the principles of heat transfer, mass transfer, and fluid flow, and be able to solve simple problems
- understand basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- appreciate design principles for heat exchangers and reactors
- appreciate the operating principle of a distillation column
- appreciate key aspects of process control
- appreciate the issues and approaches relating to process safety
- appreciate the concept of process equipment scale-up and apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
Anyone with a scientific, technical or non-chemical engineering background who wants to understand more about chemical engineering and its key concepts.
Previous delegates said
"The content of the course was excellent. Detailed notes covering the fundamentals of chemical engineering. The content was at the right level for scientists and was engaging. Jamie was great at keeping us engaged, involved and ensured the course was tailored to meet the objectives of each person in the room."
H Foulkes, Energus, UK (Royal Society Chemistry member)
"The range of discussion was good as it covered a lot of topics in a good amount of detail in a short span of time."
T Irving, Haltermann Carless, UK (IMechE member)
"Excellent trainer who explained the content well in an accessible but thorough manner, with useful opportunities to practice questions."
A Piatt, Haltermann Carless, UK (Royal Society Chemistry member and Nuclear Institute member)
"The course had some specific content that I think will be useful in my role, but also the engineering mindset was useful. There was a lot of thorough thinking involved."
B Campbell, ELGA Labwater, UK (Royal Society Chemistry member)
"A lot of content, video material, good exercises and solutions very much appreciated. It gave the basis I was hoping for. Jamie was very enthusiastic and checked with us what subjects we wanted to cover which was much appreciated."
S Witberg, Avantium Chemicals BV, Amsterdam
"Great content and teaching."
B Brattan, Indivior UK Ltd, UK
- What is chemical engineering
- The concept of unit operations
- Essential chemistry
- Mass and energy balances
- Heat transfer
- Mass transfer
- Momentum transfer (fluid mechanics)
- Process design, concepts and diagrams
- Process control
- Process safety
- Process scale-up
Online courses consist of three live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 27 November 2023
- Module 1 – 27 November 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT
- Module 2 – 4 December 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT
- Module 3 – 11 December 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 21–23 November 2023, Manchester, UK
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
Course fees vary depending on delivery format and/or location. Select your preferred course date to see the relevant fees.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
Attendance certificate & CPD hours
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.