Equality, diversity and inclusion
As set out in Strategy 2024, IChemE is committed to provide a platform to progress opportunities and good practice in equality, diversity and inclusion. This is in line with our commitments to the Royal Academy of Engineering’s Diversity Concordat.
The IChemE Code of Professional Conduct requires members to treat others fairly and without bias. It also highlights the need to act with integrity whenever a member is discharging their professional duties. As a guide, this means that a member should treat others as equals and respect their individual right to seek opportunity and/or advancement without barriers.
What is equality, diversity and inclusion?
- Equality is the absence of generalisations and stereotypes
- Diversity is recognising and valuing differences
- Inclusion is the extent to which an individual feels valued and accepted
Diversity at IChemE
IChemE prides itself on the diversity of its membership and the profession and celebrates the great contribution that those from all backgrounds make to benefit society.
With a membership of over 35,000 people from more than 100 countries, IChemE is an institution that encourages respect, appreciation and fairness in its Member Groups and global Communities of Practice.
To deliver Strategy 2024, the Institution intends to:
- increase awareness of diversity, equality and inclusion through member activity and appropriate communications
- research and reduce obstacles to equal opportunities and challenge discrimination if it occurs
- support member-led activity that addresses diversity
- share and promote examples of good practice
- monitor and keep under review IChemE policies and practices within the Institution to ensure the promotion of equal opportunities.
These requirements apply to members of all grades, employees, applicants and all stakeholders that the Institution engages with. The Institution also encourages its members to follow similar equality, diversity and inclusion policies in their workplaces.