Frank Arnold Greene: 1943—1945
Frank Arnold Greene was born in Newport, Monmouthshire, and was educated at the Merchant Taylors' School before studying engineering in the University of London at King's College, where he was awarded both the Tenant Medal and the Jelf Medal, the highest distinctions in engineering obtainable at the College at that time. Whilst at the College (of which he was made a Fellow in 1933) he obtained prizes in chemistry, physics, mechanics and engineering, and it was evident that long before the term 'chemical engineering' came into general use, he had a clear conception of the need for a balanced training in science and engineering as prerequisites for the profession.
In addition to his membership of IChemE, he was a member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Society of Chemical Industry (of which he had been a VicePresident), as well as being a Fellow of the Chemical Society. He was also a member of the Societe des Ingenieurs Civils de France.
He was among the founders of the Chemical Engineering Group, of which he was Honorary Treasurer for many years.
During most of his professional life he practised as a consulting engineer, with his chief interests being the paper, gas, explosives and chemical industries. He designed, erected and operated a most diverse range of factories and in view of the nature of his early training it was not surprising that his name was associated with a number of industries which he had developed from the research laboratory to the full works scale; while during the 2nd World War his work involved the construction of Filling Factories and with various industrial works both above and below ground.
Return to list