IChemE Malaysia Awards 2022 finalists announced
1st August 2022
Twenty-eight finalist entries have been selected for the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) Malaysia Awards 2022. The entries selected by the IChemE judging panel have the chance to win a coveted trophy for excellence in chemical, biochemical and process engineering.
Winners of the seven categories will be announced at the tenth IChemE Malaysia Awards, which will take place as a virtual ceremony on 10 October 2022.
The projects submitted include work from IOI Edible Oils, Monash University Malaysia, Optimal Systems Engineering, Petronas, Top Glove Corporation, and TripleVs Venture.
Ir Dr Viknesh Andiappan, who chairs the IChemE Malaysia Awards judging panel, said:
“Many congratulations to the 2022 finalists. Their position as a finalist demonstrates their expert knowledge and innovation to address important technical, economic, environmental or social issues – they should all feel very proud to have been selected. This is a great achievement and a pertinent platform for recognition.
“Chemical engineers have a key role to play in society's biggest challenges and the projects that we have seen entered this year are no different. The judging panel was delighted to see entries focused on important aspects such as sustainability, net-zero emissions, circular economy and resource conservation. These aspects are essential in the effort to mitigate impacts of climate change.
“Thank you to everyone who entered this year’s awards and thank you to our volunteer judging panel for taking on the difficult, yet exciting job of reviewing so many high-quality entries. It was indeed a great honour to serve alongside the best that the chemical engineering community has to offer.”
Winners of the IChemE Malaysia Awards will qualify as finalists for the IChemE Global Awards, to be held in Manchester on 17 November 2022.
For more information on the IChemE Malaysia Awards 2022 visit www.icheme.org/malaysiaawards.
IChemE Malaysia Awards 2022 finalists
Oil & Gas Award
- CO2 Research Centre (CO2RES), Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Malaysia – Hollow Fiber Membrane Prediction Program (HFMPPTM)
- Petronas Group Research and Technology, Malaysia – Nanobubble for Enhanced Separation
- Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu), Malaysia – Sustainable Low-Pressure Gaseous Nitrogen Supply to Continuous Catalyst Regenerator Unit (CCR)
- Petronas Research, Malaysia – Cryogenic Nitrogen Removal (CryoNRU)
Palm Oil Award
- Heriot-Watt University, KLKOleomas, UCSI University, Malaysia – Heat Exchanger Network Retrofitting of an Oleochemical Plant
- IOI Edible Oils, Malaysia – Palm Based Bio-lubricants
- Sime Darby Plantation Research, Malaysia – Enzyme Application at Diluted Crude Oil
- TripleVs Venture, Malaysia – Pan-Gaea, Converting Palm-oil By-products into Aquafeed
Process Safety Award
- Petroliam Nasional, Malaysia – Enhancement in Fire and Gas Mapping Study
- Petronas, Malaysia – Process Safety Focused Enhancement
- Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu), Malaysia – Elevating Oil Accounting System in Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu)
- Petronas Penapisan (Terengganu), Malaysia – Chemical Reactivity Matrix at Storage Facilities
Student Chapter Award
- Monash University Malaysia, Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) Shah Alam, Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Malaysia
- University of Nottingham, Malaysia
- IOI Edible Oils – Reduce Fuel Consumption and Carbon Footprint
- Sime Darby Plantation Research – Enzyme Application at Diluted Crude Oil
- Top Glove Corporation – Reclaimed NBR Safety Shoe Outsole
- TripleVs Venture – Pan-Gaea, Converting Palm-oil By-products into Aquafeed
Training & Development Award
- Optimal Systems Engineering, Malaysia – Convention on Promotion of Energy Sustainability Best Practices
- Petroliam Nasional (Petronas), Malaysia – Hybrid HAZOP Study – Approach and Workflow
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Malaysia – Interactive Virtual Reality Plant Tour
- CO2 Research Centre (CO2RES), Universiti Teknologi Petronas, Petronas Group Technical Solutions and School of Engineering, Monash University Malaysia – Recycle3Go
Young Researcher Award
- Andrew Ng Kay Lup - Xiamen University Malaysia, Malaysia
- Chia Shir Reen - Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN), Malaysia
- Claudia Li Chia Chirng - National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Khoo Kuan Shiong - Yuan Ze University, Taiwan
For more information please contact:
Claire Shepherd, Communications Executive, IChemE
t: +44 (0) 1788 534457
Rachael Whittles, Communications Executive and PR Lead, IChemE
t: +44 (0) 1788 534435
What is chemical engineering?
Chemical, biochemical and process engineering is the application of science, maths and economics in the process of turning raw materials into everyday, and more specialist, products. Professional chemical engineers design, construct and manage process operations all over the world. Oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, food and drink, synthetic fibres and clean drinking water are just some of the products where chemical engineering plays a central role.
The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) advances chemical engineering's contribution worldwide for the benefit of society. We support the development of chemical engineering professionals and provide connections to a powerful network of over 30,000 members in more than 100 countries.
We support our members in applying their expertise and experience to make an influential contribution to solving major global challenges, and are the only organisation permitted to award Chartered Chemical Engineer status and Professional Process Safety Engineer registration.