Chemical Engineering for Other Engineers
This course is intended for engineers from non-chemical backgrounds who want to improve the breadth and depth of their chemical engineering knowledge. It reveals the mind-set of chemical engineering, examining the core concepts and key features of the discipline.
Particular emphasis will be placed on conveying the concepts of chemistry that underpin the design and operation of many unit operations, including reactor design and separation processes.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning techniques to convey key concepts.
The course will help you to take on a professional role that involves aspects of chemical engineering and enable you to communicate and collaborate more effectively with chemical and process engineers.
It will help you to understand:
- the factors that distinguish chemical engineers from other engineers
- the essential principles of chemistry, and how to apply them to solve simple problems
- the operating principles for the common unit operations
- the concept of mass and energy balances and how to solve simple problems
- the principles of heat, mass, and momentum transfer, and how to solve simple problems
- the principles of reactor design
- conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- key aspects of process control
- the various approaches to process safety
- the concept of process equipment scale-up and how to apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
- Mechanical engineers
- Production engineers
- Control engineers
- Civil engineers
- Instrumentation engineers
- Electrical engineers
- Safety engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Plant engineers
- Project engineers
- What is chemical engineering and what is unique about chemical engineering?
- Essential chemistry — the aspects that are essential to chemical engineers
- Transport processes — heat transfer, mass transfer, fluid dynamics
- Review of engineering
- Initial design steps — identifying a process route, conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- Mass and energy balances
- Reactor design
- Separation processes
- Process control
- Process safety
This course is available for in-company delivery, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
Contact Phone +44(0)1788 534496
Contact Email email@example.comRequest a quotation
Chemical Engineering for Scientists
An opportunity for those with a science background to learn about the chemical engineering discpline.
PhD, CEng, FIChemE, Consultant
Jamie's background as a lecturer and his extensive experience of chemical engineering employers and the workplace give him a unique perspective as a trainer and facilitator of soft skills for chemical engineers.
He has a strong technical background, with a first degree in chemical engineering from the University of Surrey and a PhD from the University of Cambridge. After his PhD he followed a natural path into academic research and spent 16 years lecturing chemical engineering at the University of Surrey.
Through coordinating the professional training placement scheme for chemical engineering students, he was able to see first-hand the huge potential benefit to individuals and organisations that could be achieved by professional skills training.
"Jamie has proven skill and knowledge sets, which have impacted both myself and colleagues in my company in a positive manner. He comes highly recommended." UOP
"I found Jamie to be responsive, proactive, with the strategic understanding to align my business needs with a learning environment. Thoroughly good guy to work with." SNC-Lavalin
"Jamie is an engaging and inspirational trainer who works hard to help his delegates realise their potential." Evolve-Leadteam Ltd