HAZOP Leadership and Management
Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
This course is designed to help those experienced in the HAZOP technique to understand best practice in HAZOP leadership and management. You will learn how to apply the HAZOP technique, and how to plan and manage study programmes effectively. You will also learn how to lead study teams effectively to ensure successful project execution. Case studies will allow you to undertake a range of project team roles and provide the opportunity to guide a virtual team through the HAZOP process.
There will be an assessment at the end of the course. Following successful completion, you will receive your certificate of attendance (see below). Please note that certification does not act as IChemE HAZOP leader accreditation/endorsement.
- Planning a HAZOP programme
- Node identification and time estimation
- Preparation of the event
- Recording style, skills and development of recommendations
- HAZOP meeting facilitation
- Team dynamics
- Leadership through the study
- Development of the final report and action management
- Online course only – the Delta HAZOP technique for re-validating process hazard analysis
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- prepare for a HAZOP study meeting and programme – including defining the scope of the study and choosing the team
- choose nodes (parts of the drawings or operation for HAZOP study)
- estimate the programme requirements for the successful completion of a study
- use facilitation techniques to motivate the team and keep them on task
- avoid common problems encountered during study meetings, including challenging behaviours
- formulate the HAZOP study report
- fulfill the team leader’s role in implementing recommendations and managing the process
- Online course only – apply the Delta HAZOP technique for re-validating process hazard analysis.
Who will benefit
- Anyone with experience of the HAZOP technique who is required to lead HAZOP studies.
- Process safety engineers, loss prevention specialists, production engineers, process design engineers, project engineers, process programmers and instrument control engineers.
- Those preparing for their Chartered Member application – the course has been mapped against the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC competencies A (Knowledge and understanding), B (Design, development and solving engineering problems) and E (Professional commitment)
Previous delegates said
"The course is well balanced between awareness of HAZOP procedure knowledge and its application in real-life situations."
A Adewole, ICoNiChem, UK
"Excellent trainer, he has great practical experience and knowledge."
S Gurav, Shell Petroleum, Brunei
"A very interactive course with very good material, very well presented."
L Gasimova, Wood, UK
"I found it very interesting to learn more about how you can lead / ask questions and comments within a HAZOP to promote a positive and constructive response."
J Hill, Pfizer, UK
"The best thing about the course was the real-life examples which highlighted the result of process failures."
M Kent, Prochem Engineering, Ireland
"The course reflected industry approaches to HAZOP and was very up to date in the guidance given and recommendations made."
D Lyons, PFGi, Ireland
"What an excellent course, it was one of the best I have been on in my career. Well thought out, clear and delivered superbly by real experts."
John Douglas, Ramboll, UK
"The course quality and presentation was absolutely tremendous."
Shoja Shokofan, NRC Environmental Services, UK
"The practical aspect of the course helped a lot. There was a good mix of lecturing and practical participation that helped mimic the real life scenarios that I have been part of.''
Matthew Crawford, Scitech Engineering, UK
Online courses consist of four live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 6 June 2023
- Module 1 – 6 June 2023, 08:00–11:00 AWST/MYT / 10:00–13:00 AEST / 12:00–15:00 NZST
- Module 2 – 8 June 2023, 08:00–11:00 AWST/MYT / 10:00–13:00 AEST / 12:00–15:00 NZST
- Module 3 – 13 June 2023, 08:00–11:00 AWST/MYT / 10:00–13:00 AEST / 12:00–15:00 NZST
- Module 4 – 15 June 2023, 08:00–11:00 AWST/MYT / 10:00–13:00 AEST / 12:00–15:00 NZST
From 13 June 2023
- Module 1 – 13 June 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 2 – 15 June 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 3 – 20 June 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 4 – 22 June 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 13–15 March 2023, Boksburg, South Africa
- 2–4 May 2023, Perth, Australia
- 24–26 May 2023, New Plymouth, New Zealand
- 7–9 June 2023, Manchester, UK
- 21–23 June 2023, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 8–10 August 2023, Melbourne, Australia
- 14–16 August 2023, Boksburg, South Africa
- 2–4 October 2023, Aberdeen, UK
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course and successfully complete the assessment to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
HAZOP Study for Team Leaders and Team Members
Practical training for HAZOP team members and new team leaders.