Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
This course provides practical training in the HAZOP technique for study team members and those new to team leadership. Alongside presentations covering all the essential aspects of the method, you will participate in workshops using the HAZOP methodology for continuing processes, sequential operations and computer-controlled plant. You will also learn more about the relationship between HAZOP and other hazard identification methods and hazard studies.
Much of the course is dedicated to group work on realistic HAZOP studies, giving team leaders and team members practical experience in their respective roles.
Examples are drawn from a range of industry sectors and typical reports are also provided. You can also take part in discussion and analysis sessions to identify strengths, weaknesses and learning points from the case studies.
If you have little or limited experience as a HAZOP team member, you should register for the course as a team member. Experienced team members, those new to team leadership, and leaders in need of a refresher, should register as a team leader.
- The HAZOP technique
- Developing hazardous scenarios
- Roles and responsibilities
- Human factors
- Common pitfalls and how to avoid them
Team leaders will learn:
- how to be a good leader, emphasised by practice and reviews
- how to manage HAZOP studies
- the importance of pre-study preparation
- how to work effectively with the team secretary and the team members.
Team members will learn:
- how HAZOP study works
- the role and responsibilities of a team member
- how to become a valuable team member.
Who will benefit
- New HAZOP team leaders
- New HAZOP team members
- Experienced HAZOP team members moving on to team leadership
- Engineers and other technical personnel new to HAZOP
- Anyone with safety/project management responsibilities
Previous delegates said
"Teaching of a very high standard. The online format worked well. Nigel was very good at tailoring his course to suit individuals' objectives."
E Arnott, MMA Consulting, Ireland
"I really enjoyed completing the activities as it broke up the sessions and gave us a chance to practice what we'd learned. Also, good opportunity to meet and work with others, particularly for the online version of the course."
S Winstone-Partidge, AWE, UK
"Great course content. Very detailed and informative."
D Delahunty, Pilkington, UK
"The exercises gave us a great chance to participate in the different variety of HAZOP studies and provided great experience for both newcomers to HAZOP and experienced members."
C McDermott, Booth Welsh, UK
"A very concise overview of HAZOP. Good levels of detail from a technical perspective and plenty of relevant information on the broader aspects of HAZOP."
P Henry, Victrex, UK
Online courses consist of three live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 12 October 2023
- Module 1 – 12 October 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 2 – 17 October 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
- Module 3 – 19 October 2023, 10:00–13:00 BST
From 7 November 2023
- Module 1 – 7 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
- Module 1 – 14 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
- Module 2 – 21 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 27–29 November 2023, Manchester, UK
- 27–29 November 2023, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
Course fees vary depending on delivery format and/or location. Select your preferred course date to see the relevant fees.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
Attendance certificate & CPD hours
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.