We are delivering a version of this course online – view details >>
This course is intended for engineers from non-chemical backgrounds who want to improve the breadth and depth of their chemical engineering knowledge. It reveals the mind-set of chemical engineering, examining the core concepts and key features of the discipline. Particular emphasis will be placed on conveying the concepts of chemistry that underpin the design and operation of many unit operations, including reactor design and separation processes.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning techniques to convey key concepts.
Are you a scientist? Our Chemical Engineering for Scientists course may be more suitable.
The course will help you to take on a professional role that involves aspects of chemical engineering and enable you to communicate and collaborate more effectively with chemical and process engineers.
It will help you to understand:
- the factors that distinguish chemical engineers from other engineers
- the essential principles of chemistry, and how to apply them to solve simple problems
- the operating principles for the common unit operations
- the concept of mass and energy balances and how to solve simple problems
- the principles of heat, mass, and momentum transfer, and how to solve simple problems
- the principles of reactor design
- conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- key aspects of process control
- the various approaches to process safety
- the concept of process equipment scale-up and how to apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
- Mechanical engineers
- Production engineers
- Control engineers
- Civil engineers
- Instrumentation engineers
- Electrical engineers
- Safety engineers
- Maintenance engineers
- Plant engineers
- Project engineers
- What is chemical engineering and what is unique about chemical engineering?
- Essential chemistry — the aspects that are essential to chemical engineers
- Transport processes — heat transfer, mass transfer, fluid dynamics
- Review of engineering
- Initial design steps — identifying a process route, conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- Mass and energy balances
- Reactor design
- Separation processes
- Process control
- Process safety
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places — 5% discount
- 3 places — 10% discount
- 4 or more places — 15% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
This course is also available as an in-company course (face-to-face or online) where content can be customised to meet your organisation's specific needs and delivered on a date/location that suits your requirements. Contact us for more information.