A version of this course is also available online – view details >>
This course has been specifically designed for those with a science background, who want to understand more about chemical engineering and how to apply the methods to their day-to-day role. It reveals the mind-set of chemical engineering, examining the core concepts and key features of the discipline. Particular emphasis will be placed on conveying concepts of practical engineering design and operation.
This is an interactive course, involving problem-based learning techniques to convey key concepts.
Not a scientist? Our Chemical Engineering for Other Engineers course may be more helpful.
The course will help you to take on a professional role that involves aspects of chemical engineering and enable you to communicate and collaborate more effectively with chemical and process engineers.
It will help you to understand:
- the factors that distinguish chemical engineers from scientists
- how your scientific knowledge relates to chemical engineering
- the operating principles for the common unit operations
- how to demonstrate an engineer's problem-solving approach
- the principles of heat, mass, and momentum transfer, and how to solve simple problems
- basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- the principles of mass and energy balances and how to solve simple problems
- the principles of reactor design
- key aspects of process control
- the various approaches to process safety
- the concept of process equipment scale-up and how to apply this to simple problems.
Who will benefit
- Research scientists
- Environmental scientists
- What is chemical engineering and what is unique about chemical engineering?
- Engineering concepts
- The engineering approach to problem-solving
- Transport processes – heat transfer, mass transfer, fluid dynamics
- Essential chemistry – the aspects that are essential to chemical engineers
- Initial design steps – identifying a process route, basic conceptual process design and flow-sheeting
- Mass and energy balances
- Reactor design
- Separation processes
- Process control
- Process safety
Delegates will receive a copy of Data for Chemical Engineering Students, an essential concepts, principles and formulae booklet.
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places — 5% discount
- 3 places — 10% discount
- 4 or more places — 15% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
This course is also available as an in-company course (face-to-face or online) where content can be customised to meet your organisation's specific needs and delivered on a date/location that suits your requirements. Contact us for more information.
Register your interest
Register your interest in this course to receive latest updates >>