The Morton Medal provides professional recognition by IChemE for excellence in chemical engineering education.
Named in memory of a past IChemE president, Professor Frank Morton, a popular chemical engineering professor who taught at both Birmingham University and Manchester University, this medal commemorates his dedicated service to teaching.
The Morton Medal is awarded to the individual who has best demonstrated excellence in chemical engineering education. In particular, it looks to recognise the work of outstanding educators as well as 'game changers', and to promulgate best practice in chemical engineering education.
Nominations are sought from all those interested in engineering and education. The best nominee is selected by a panel consisting of representatives from the University of Birmingham and the University of Manchester, together with representatives from IChemE’s education community, and passed to the IChemE Medals and Prizes Committee for a final decision.
Criteria this medal will be judged against are:
- inspiring and supporting students
- impact on chemical engineering education in broader context
- evidence of sustained output.
How to nominate
Nominations for 2023 medals and prizes are now closed. Nominations for 2024 will open in September 2023.
To make a nomination, download the nomination form and complete the information requested, paying attention to the criteria the medal will be judged against. Please return the completed form to email@example.com by the closing date.
Please note the following:
- additional documents submitted outside the information provided in the nomination form will not be considered by the judges (unless specified otherwise)
- we do not accept self-nominations
- we do not accept nominations for sitting members of the Board of Trustees
- unless indicated otherwise, medals/prizes are generally awarded to individuals — a single medal shall be presented in all cases.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Previous medal winners
- 2021 — J Glassey
- 2020 — N Eshtiaghi
- 2018 — J Love
- 2017 — E Sorensen
- 2016 — R F Mudde
- 2015 — K Mohd Yusof
- 2014 — R Henda
- 2012 — E P Byrne
2012 — M J Pitt
- 2007 — G M Campbell
- 2006 — D Shallcross
- 2004 — G Moggridge
- 2001 — D B F Faraday