Safety and Loss PreventionJoin Group
The Safety & Loss Prevention Special Interest Group provides a network for all of those interested in safety within the process industries. Process safety transcends disciplinary boundaries and concerns a wide range of professionals including chemical, mechanical, instrumentation & electrical engineers, scientists and accountants.
The S&LP SIG is only one part of IChemE's involvement in safety. Other parts include the IChemE Safety Centre and the Loss Prevention Bulletin. The SIG is particularly focused on providing a voice for members and for providing activities and resources of benefit to members in their professional practice.
- provide a forum to facilitate networking and open dialogue on lessons learned
- support professional development and provide resources for training and the acquisition of new skills
- promote best practice, and advance the technical and practical tools of safety and loss prevention
- create cultures that deliver improvements in health, safety and environmental performance
- build an understanding of risk issues, and influence the development and adoption of risk reduction measures test.
- technical seminars, workshops and evening talks
- networking via events and discussion forum
- development of model codes and training tools
- representation of professional interests
- preparation of responses to consultation documents
- award of IChemE's Frank Lees Medal and Ned Franklin Medal, recognising excellence in process safety.
To contact IChemE's special interest group support staff, email Special Interest Groups.
HSE Issues Safety Alert on Gas Sampling
This safety alert by the UK Health & Safety Executive highlights the risk of misleading gas detection readings associated with the use of sampling tubes with pumped gas detectors.
Safety & Loss Presention SIG Newsletter: June 2020
The Safety & Loss Prevention SIG has issued a newsletter, following the appointment of Mahmoud Gawish as our newsletter editor.