Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
This course is designed to help those experienced in the HAZOP technique to understand best practice in HAZOP leadership and management. You will learn how to apply the HAZOP technique, and how to plan and manage study programmes effectively. You will also learn how to lead study teams effectively to ensure successful project execution. Case studies will allow you to undertake a range of project team roles and provide the opportunity to guide a team through the HAZOP process.
There will be an assessment at the end of the course. Following successful completion, you will receive your certificate of attendance (see below). Please note that certification does not act as IChemE HAZOP leader accreditation/endorsement.
- Planning a HAZOP programme
- Node identification and time estimation
- Preparation of the event
- Recording style, skills and development of recommendations
- HAZOP meeting facilitation
- Team dynamics
- Leadership through the study
- Development of the final report and action management
- Online course only – the Delta HAZOP technique for re-validating process hazard analysis
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- prepare for a HAZOP study meeting and programme – including defining the scope of the study and choosing the team
- choose nodes (parts of the drawings or operation for HAZOP study)
- estimate the programme requirements for the successful completion of a study
- use facilitation techniques to motivate the team and keep them on task
- avoid common problems encountered during study meetings, including challenging behaviours
- formulate the HAZOP study report
- fulfil the team leader’s role in implementing recommendations and managing the process
- Online course only – apply the Delta HAZOP technique for re-validating process hazard analysis.
Who will benefit
- Anyone with experience of the HAZOP technique who is required to lead HAZOP studies
- Process safety engineers, loss prevention specialists, production engineers, process design engineers, project engineers, process programmers and instrument control engineers
- Those preparing for their Chartered Member application – the course has been mapped against the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC competencies A (Knowledge and understanding), B (Design, development and solving engineering problems) and E (Professional commitment)
Previous delegates said
"I found it helpful to focus on the facilitation and getting the most out of the team rather than getting bogged down in the detail of the HAZOP itself - this is pitched at the perfect level for engineers who have the capability to do the HAZOP but now want to upskill as a facilitator. Nigel added a dimension of experience and practical application that helped embed the content excellently."
K Grove, BP, UK
"The best thing was getting the chance to see how people from other companies manage the HAZOP study, share their experience. Great trainer."
T Malčeková, Orlen Unipetrol, Czech Republic
"Excellent trainer, he has great practical experience and knowledge."
S Gurav, Shell Petroleum, Brunei
"I found it very interesting to learn more about how you can lead / ask questions and comments within a HAZOP to promote a positive and constructive response."
J Hill, Pfizer, UK
"The interaction with the rest of the team representing other industries and the upskilling element with the latest thinking. It has empowered me to upskill my work colleagues to help make our designs much more safer. Very well structured with the course material that needed covering."
M Razaque, Jacobs, UK
"The best thing was the worksheets/activities which had us discussing in groups and applying the HAZOP methodology."
T Cutfield, Gexcon, UK
"The course content, method of delivery, examples used, live practice modules and other course features were very relevant, of high technical content and quality. I would strongly recommend this course to all safety practitioners, process safety engineers and other related disciplines."
G Venkaraman, Techno Safe Consultants, India
"What an excellent course, it was one of the best I have been on in my career. Well thought out, clear and delivered superbly by real experts."
J Douglas, Ramboll, UK
Online courses consist of four live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 25 October 2023
- Module 1 – 25 October 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
- Module 2 – 27 October 2023,10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
- Module 3 – 31 October 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
- Module 4 – 2 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 AWST/MYT / 12:00–15:00 AEST / 15:00–18:00 NZDT
From 28 November 2023
- Module 1 – 28 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 GMT
- Module 2 – 30 November 2023, 10:00–13:00 GMT
- Module 3 – 5 December 2023, 10:00–13:00 GMT
- Module 4 – 7 December 2023, 10:00–13:00 GMT
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 2–4 October 2023, Aberdeen, UK
- 30 October–1 November 2023, Manchester, UK FULL
- 15–17 November 2023, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 5–7 December 2023, Melbourne, Australia
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
Course fees vary depending on delivery format and/or location. Select your preferred course date to see the relevant fees.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
Attendance certificate & CPD hours
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course and successfully complete the assessment to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.