Process Risk Assessment
Online | In-company
Learn about risk assessment in the process industries and why it is key to protecting businesses against the potentially devastating impact of process safety incidents.
You will develop the skills and knowledge needed to identify, assess and communicate process risks from a safety, environmental or business perspective – from a simple qualitative approach to fully quantified assessments.
The course can contribute to satisfying the 'Risk Assessment' competence when applying to become a Professional Process Safety Engineer.
By the end of the course, you will understand how to apply the principles of:
- individual and societal risk
- risk tolerability
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP)
- the five-stage risk assessment process and when to apply the different types of process risk assessments
- qualitative, semi-quantitative and quantitative methods including risk matrices, bow-tie analysis, layer of protection analysis (LOPA), environmental risk assessment, fault-tree analysis, event-tree analysis, hazard analysis, quantitative risk assessment (QRA), and occupied buildings risk assessment.
Who will benefit
- Anyone involved in the risk assessment process
- Plant/process operators including maintenance functions
- Process safety engineers and loss prevention specialists
- Process risk
- Qualitative risk assessment
- Semi-quantitative risk assessment
- Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Environmental risk assessment
- Hazard analysis
- Quantified risk analysis
- Cost-benefit analysis
Previous delegates said
"An excellent introduction and exploration of process risk assessment. I gained insight in to how the various techniques link together and how subjectivity comes into it."
J Scarlett, Tradebe Solvent Recycling, UK
"The content was great...with a high level overview of the concepts and how to apply them in situations. Helen was fantastic and catered well to different experience levels."
S McKay, Syngenta, UK
"A well structured course with a good balance of pre-work and practical group activities."
C Ledingham, Severn Trent Water, UK
"My goal was to be aware of and use multiple techniques for plant risk assessments and the course provided the information I was after. Sending the material out prior to the live sessions for pre-reading was very beneficial.’’
S King, Ampol, Australia
Online courses consist of two live and interactive module with the trainer on the dates indicated together with pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 6 June 2023
- Module 1 – 6 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
- Module 2 – 13 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
No scheduled dates.
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
Learn about the LOPA methodology and how to apply it.